1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Trace Elliot ELF

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by grrg63, Jan 19, 2017.

1. RobinG

RobinG Gold Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2007
    Washington State
    Gig report!
    Two last weekend. The first was with The Hinges, a long standing Duo that play with Drums and Bass a bit more often. I played my repaired Jack Casady Bass, Elf and Neo 1X12 (8ohm's). The sound guy dialed it in, and told me to turn down on stage. I turned my volume off, and was just DI. It sounded good, and I did turn up to 7:00 on the master so I could feel it a little more.
    Second gig was on a bigger stage and club, with The Psychedelic Shadow Show. I had both Neo cabs (4ohm's), and we played a bit louder. I got to 9:00 on the master with my Gretsch 5123.
    I got the Elf on a whim when they first came out. I've been gigging with it since then. I've taken it to festivals with a backline of Ampeg SVT version X, and patched it in. I love my V6, but the DI sucks, I REALLY Love my Series 4 AH350X, but it's a lot to carry. The Elf fits in a Bass case, or gig bag.
    Robin

Artman, ctmullins, Zbysek and 3 others like this.
  2. I love the DI on my V4 !

3. The carry bag that comes with the Elf is really cool!

Thanks for the gig report. Every confidence in the Elf delivering the goods.

RobinG, Count Bassie and Zbysek like this.
  4. elfish

elfish

Jan 24, 2019
    I've been meaning to report on my elf experiences. Last year I got back into bass after a couple of decades away. I agonized for weeks and bought an Elf and 1x10 and it's been great with my impulse-bought Yamaha RBX305, which obviously has 5 strings. (The bass is sparkly red so I decided that I needed a blue lead to tie together the red guitar and green amp).

I play bass mainly at an acoustic strum-along (mostly ukes but some guitars, congas, cahon) with up to 60 people in a big dining room in a pub. Obviously there's plenty of volume for that, and I really like the sound with the gain up around 12 o'clock - the compression gives it authority. Still finding my sound but I have been scooping the mids a bit to try to get some definition as well as decent low end. The low D sounds big - I don't really go below that.

We play as a band with a subset of the same group of people with some ukes and guitars DI'd into a PA in a small bar-room with a loud drummer, and the Elf + 1x10 is more than loud enough to sit in with him. On one gig in a bigger room at a golf club (with congas as as well) we added the drummer's 2x10 rumble cab and there was *plenty* of sound (not so tight, but lots of it :).

I tend to loop the power lead through the handle of the cab to stop the little head getting pulled off in the heat of battle with the ukes - that was never a problem with the Acoustic head I had last time I played bass back in the early nineties.

Somewhere else in this thread someone else mentioned the Gator Cases GP-40 bag - which is meant for lights. I couldn't find one here in Australia but I ordered one from B&H in the USA and it's great. For short trips I just pop the whole rig in the bag with the amp on top and sling it over my shoulder. Would have bought one of the 1x10 combos if they'd been out for sure.

RobinG, Count Bassie and Morrighan like this.
  5. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones

6. My brother gigs bars every weekend with an Elf rig. He doesn’t have a car. He can carry his cab in one hand and everything else he needs in the gig bag with his Jazz bass over his shoulder. Takes the bus to the band’s load in, and tosses the guitar player or the drummer a little gas money for a lift to the gig and home afterwards. His bandmates appreciate that he helps them with the much loftier gear, and they don’t mind his rig being so small at all. The elf keeps up with his blues/classic style rock band just fine.

MartinB, Mark Hughes, RobinG and 3 others like this.
  7. KPJ

KPJ

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    Here's a phone video compilation of a gig I did a few weeks ago. Just my Jack Casady into the ELF and 1x10 via Xvive wireless. Band is acoustic guitar, electric guitar, harmonica, congas and bass. Excuse any poor playing but enjoy the tone! LOL

BobDeRosa, Mark_70, scottm and 4 others like this.
  8. GreyMark

GreyMark

Jun 22, 2018
    I found that helpful KPJ. Especially the part just before mid way where the camera is facing you and the volume seemed to reach it well you so we could hear exactly what the 1x10 was doing in that audio area. You played a few really great fills to give full range that were really helpful.

You also all seemed to be having a good time. Cheers to you. :)

Morrighan, KPJ and Count Bassie like this.
  9. KPJ

KPJ

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    Thanks! Glad it could be helpful. I was impressed with how the ELF sounded when I saw the video posted. I had no habd in the editing so any helpful fills were by accident! That band is a very loose collective where the leader has whoever is available play and we mostly wing it. It's all about fun!

Morrighan likes this.
  10. Count Bassie

Count Bassie Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    You make my amp sound pretty good man!

RobinG, KPJ and Morrighan like this.
  11. Count Bassie

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    Time to go...

20190207_211037.

I think this is quietly hilarious.

GreyMark, KPJ, Plutonium244 and 4 others like this.
  12. That's a good carry!

Stumbo, Count Bassie and Artman like this.
  13. What cab(s) are you using with it, and how large the venue? What kind of guitar amp(s) are you keeping up with?
    Just curious. I really like that little amp.

14. Count Bassie

Jun 10, 2006
    Smithfield, RI
    At rehearsals I'm putting it through an old EAW 410 converted to a 4 ohm 210, loaded with Eminence BP102 speakers.
    For small gigs of any genre that's the rig I bring, does very well with standard rock rhythm section, including a hard hitting drummer and a small, obnoxious guitar combo. :smug:

For reggae gigs I bring that rig for a small monitor, point it mostly at the drummer- he needs a hit of slamming low end, and I run a bigger rig alongside it- I just line-out from one amp to the other. I am considering a y-splitter though, bass to both amps. The reggae band is a bunch of old-school Carribean islanders, so we need lots of boom in the engine room...

For the bigger-production 80s tribute gigs, pretty much same deal: Elf and 210 for drummer, bigger rig alongside.

Nowadays the big rig is a Kustom Groove 310C. That one's still getting auditioned.

Honestly, the Elf and 210 could likely handle the 80s tribute. I'm going to be experimenting at our next gig, next weekend.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
    JGbassman, Artman and Morrighan like this.
  15. That sounds awesome! I ask because I’m not only curious, but I love reading about other people’s rig rundowns. Nerdy that way.

Count Bassie likes this.
  16. I have an Elf, and while it has enough grunt for the gigs I do, it does not have the clean sound my AI Clarus SL has, nor my TC BQ500. This is running into two Barefaced One10 cabs. For me, it's a backup head.

Count Bassie likes this.
  17. JGbassman

JGbassman Supporting Member

May 31, 2011
    I’d be willing to bet many here bought the head initially as a back up to their main amp, but quickly found it suited their needs surprisingly well.

As I’m away from playing bar gigs at the moment, it will be regulated for practice and as a backup head once again as I’m going to be playing gigs in larger venues, and utilizing two 810 cabs and SVT tube power. (mostly as stage props for a tribute band,but they will be on and covering the stages)

And interesting you find the elf doesn’t stay clean enough for you, that’s exactly why I like the sound when pushed a little.

The best part about music is everyone’s individual tastes, and there is no right or wrong, just different flavors. Sounds like you have a great rig and a nice backup amp as well. :)

RobinG, Zbysek, Marty Forrer and 2 others like this.
  18. JGbassman

May 31, 2011
    I have two of the gator GP-40 cases for my ELF system, and they are indeed perfect for it. The amp and all the cords pack nicely in the bags for a one trip load in to the club. I’ll post som pictures later today. It’s 3 am right now, my cat decided 230 am was the perfect time for me to wake up and pet her. Ugh.

Zbysek and Count Bassie like this.
  19. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    to those who've played through an elf 110, would you say it sounds more or less like this?

20. JGbassman

May 31, 2011
    I'd say it's a good representation of the different tones you can get out of it.

They are naturally mid heavy, but roll the mids out and push the lows up and you can get those tones easily. The big bottom end is surprising from that small cab (at least it was to me), and I will say placement had a big effect on the sound. It took me a while to figure that out and adjust to effect the tone. It's got a rear port, so finding a sweet spot close to a wall will really project the sound and lows, as you heard with DR cheese there. Moving away and up will pull the bottom end away, and leave a mid range that cuts a heavy mix, but doesn't get too boomy. The amp itself is pretty amazing, and really sounds great with all sorts of different cabs. I'd suggest running two ten cabs if gigging, it really makes a huge difference in how they project. The elf really like ps to run at 4 ohm. I found a used 10 cab at guitar center used gear page a few months ago for 150.00, so you can find some pretty good deals if you keep the look out for them.

Morrighan and pcake like this.