Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Trace elliot fan - is it supposed to suck air in or out!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Solid, Jul 25, 2004.

1. Solid

Solid

Jul 25, 2004
    Just a quick question for anyone with a Trace Elliot Amp bass amp, could they tell me whether the rear fan is supposed to suck air in or out?

I took mine off to clean it then went to put it back on and it sucks air in, and i swear it blew air out!

Even though im sure it blew hot air out, the fan will only go back on one way.

Cheers for any help!!

PS i relise this sounds like a really stupid question!

2. Not a stupid question if you don't know the answer. From my experience fans blow air into the amp. I don't know specifically about your amp, but it stands to reason that if it only goes in one way that's the way it is supposed to go.

3. 8va

8va

Jul 16, 2004
    Mine blows air OUT the front grill, so it must suck air IN at the back. ie the fan sucks air into the amp. In fact the incoming air is blown over the large heatsink inside.

4. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    Could you have flipped the wires connecting the fan? That will reverse it's direction.

5. notanaggie

notanaggie Guest

Sep 30, 2003
    Not so, reversing the wires with any modern DC fan (last 20 years) generally won't work at all, and may kill the fan. DC brushless fans only turn one way.

As far as orientation:

Fans "usually" blow air towards heatsinks, because hot air is bad for fans and other stuff

Usually heatsinks are located next to a vent. So the air cools the rest of the unit and then is still cool enough to cool the heatsink.

Otherwise, the boiling hot air from the heatsinks cooks everything else in the unit.

So wherever the heatsinks are, the air almost certainly goes towards them and out.

Hope this helps....

Which won't go on any other way? The connector for the wires probably is polarized, but the fan should go in either way.

Take a good look at your fan and see if you see any marks from teh screws or nuts in or around the holes that are NOT presently used in mounting (if any). If you see marks, you likely put it back wrong....... unless you tried it both ways already.

If it is the wire length that is bothering you, the fans are square, so it mounts any way, and the wire can go in any corner as needed.

6. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    On my RAH350smx it pulls in through the rear and blows out the front. The fan pulls in.

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Dunno. I'm an Eden fan.

8. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    Is that true about DC brushless motors only going one way? I used to work with brushless motors in RC cars and they went in both directions. What brushless motors really dislike are:

1. Heat. Heat kills magnets, especially neodymium, which is what most high power brushless motors are made from.

2. Braking and/or changing direction. They're very efficient going in one direction. When you tell the motor to change directions ( stop or go in reverse ) it burns up a lot of excess energy in the form of heat. Not good.

3. Not knowing what's going on. Brushless motors usually require a more complex control, either with a sensor ( kind of slow ) or sensorless ( requires a special computer thing ). This might not be a big issue for a fan though, because it's control is very simple. However, if it has 3 wires, it's probably a sensorless. If it has 2, then it probably has a built in sensor which tends to slow things down a little.

9. notanaggie

notanaggie Guest

Sep 30, 2003
    Yes, for typical fans, anyway. The IC inside creates the rotating field, and it only goes one way as set. the IC wants its + and - just as marked, and reversing either won't work or will be a short.
    They may be switchable if a control line is brought out, but fans don't have that. The blades are set up (curved) for one direction only, no need for a reverse.

The 2 wire are simple, single-speed (unless you reduce voltage) fans. No sensor, they just run full speed.

The 3rd wire if present is often an input from an external sensor, like a speed control. That kind may slow or fail to work if not correctly connected.

Or it may be a tach output to a "fan failed" detector. That would bother nothing if not connected, typically.

His fan is surely a 2-wire ordinary fan.