Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Trace Elliot GP 11 footswitch

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by embrynat2000, Mar 7, 2006.

1. Hey there all,

I own a trace ah500x head with the built in GP11 preamp, this amp was built in 1986. There are pre-shape and eq in switches on the face of the preamp which are busted. These switches are footswitchable but I do not have the footswitch (the amp was an ebay buy). I contacted trace and they told me they do not deal with their old amps, gave me a contact email of a guy they said might help me but he never emailed me back.
    So I put this question to the allmighty know-how of the talk bass forum. Does anybody know nyhting about the GP11 footswitch? Would a generic two-button footswitch do the job? Finding a replacement footswitch has thus far been an impossible task. Should I try to fix the broken switches? I;m pretty lazy about that stuff but I guess I could take a look.

It would be really nice to just plug in a footswitch and not worry about it.

Thanks

2. Antonius

Antonius

Nov 26, 2002
    NL
    I remember doing some work on the footswitch for my Trace AH200 (GP12 preamp) back when I just bought it new, some 15 years ago. The footswitch is very simple. If you have very basic knowledge of electronics and soldering, you can make your own.

On the 1/4 jack, I think the sleeve is common, tip and ring will trigger preshape and graphic (don't know in which order). Two push buttons in a sturdy flat box. Not sure if the push buttons should make or break. You could test that with a jack and a wire.

You can even add LED indicators on your footswitch. If you have a little patience, I will try to find my footswitch later this week, open it up, see how it's all wired together.

Come on, I find it's quite rewarding to do your own repairs/tweaks. Then again, if you don't want to do anything yourself, don't expect us to solve it for ya ;)

3. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    You can find those footswitches on Ebay all the time.

You can do as Antonius recommended and make your own. I think the plug is how he said and you need to use momentary type swithches.

4. Well maybe I meant to say that I'm scared to open up my beautiful amp. I have no fears of working on some of my less valuable or replacable gear. I have an swr combo that I've worked on, and some mexi-fender stuff that I have no problems frankenstsining up. But stuff like my 72 P-bass or my trace head, i get a little squemish about.

I would definitely be willing to try to make a footswitch. I have been looking for the footwitch on ebay, but I never can find one just by itself without an amp included.

So you think that a tip-ring and two switches would work? It's been a long time since high school electronics, and I don't want to short anything out. Maybe a schematic would help. I know you can buy generic two button footswitches for like 20 bucks, and was really leaning more towards that. I 'm just not sure if they would work right.

5. here's a little update. took the preamp out of the chasis and opened i up to get a look at the pushbutton switches. They would definitely be a tough fix as they are glued in there and a very odd type of switch. I was thinking I might just be able to install some toggle switches, but I really don't have the confidence to start breaking apart the chip board, and it seems just like a generally bad idea. The good news is that I got a good look at the jack and wiring for the female end of the footswitch. Seems like any old ring tip footswitch will do.

Thanks for shaming me into openin up the preamp.

6. Groundloop

Groundloop

Jun 21, 2005
    Toronto
  7. Well that solves it then!! Thanks! I guess they are not impossible to find. Now if only the dopes over at the new trace company could have told me that!!