1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Trace Elliot "GP12 Head" , can it be?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by gil_mor, Apr 24, 2006.

1. gil_mor

gil_mor

Apr 24, 2006
    Sedona, Az
    Hi everyone.
    There's a guy who's selling a "Trace Elliot GP12 Head" , As far as i know, the GP12 stands for the pre-amp section, right?

Well, he claims there's nothing else written on the Head, not even wattage. just the "4 Ω min" warning.

Amp shold be late 80's.

Is this genuine TE, or a fraud?
    Have anyone saw that kind of head?

I'v serched this (wonderfull) form for days, and haven't found a clue...

10X:)

2. Drpepper99uk

Drpepper99uk

Dec 31, 2004
    London,U.K
    Hello,

GP12 is the graphic section on the preamp side of things.......referring to 12 band EQ and not the model name,The same goes with the 7 band EQ models(GP7) I would imagine it probably an AH series head that contain the 12 band EQ system.

Michael.

3. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Well, there are four different GP12 series preamps.

There is the original GP12X (aka Series 6) which looks like this:
    GP12xSeries6.

The GP12XV which had two 12ax7 preamp tubes:
    hexavalveclose.

Then came the GP12SMX.
    (early version)
    AH350SMXweb.

GP12SMX
    (late version)
    SMXpreampGibsoneraweb.

The last version, the GP12X again!
    AH1000-GP12X.

Which one does it look like? If it doesn't have a model # on the front and you said it's from the 80's, it should be the Series 6 GP12X (first pic). So to answer your question, yes, it sounds like it is a real Trace.

4. gil_mor

gil_mor

Apr 24, 2006
    Sedona, Az
    Wow man, that was quick .
    But, as i said, we are talking about a "Head", not a "Pre-amp only" Unit.

So how can it be the "Series 6 GP12X"

Im confused, why would TE state only the name of pre-amp ?

The guy how's selling the amp is very far from me,
    After i read your post, I asked him to send me some photos.
    Now im curiously waiting ...

Another big question:

If this is a real Trace, what "has to be" on the Unit?
    I heard about chips with hand-writing.
    Maybe something on the internal bord itself?

Can you give me some tips to make an originality test?

Thank's. again.:)

5. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    If I'm not mistaken, most of the trace amps do not list model number/wattage on the front. Usually, the information is handwritten on the back of the amp. I have am AH250SMX and no where on the amp it is written on the front.

It probably is a real trace amp. I see me amps used than preamps

6. Groundloop

Groundloop

Jun 21, 2005
    Toronto
    I have a '96 Trace RAH300 SMX (looks exactly like the "late version" GP12SMX in Kellys post) that I bought used for a song because the retailer (and whoever sold it to them) thought it was a preamp only. The fact that the head you're looking at has "Minimum 4 Ohm" on the back would indicate that it's a head, not just a preamp. If it weighs more than 25 lbs is another good clue! My old head has lots of handwritten notes/descriptions etc on most of the PCBs. There's a good chance that the power section PCB will have "The Bipolar Bear" printed on it, and there should be a sticker on the inside of the chassis that has the build date on it. I wish I had seen this thread yesterday, since I just had the head open for cleaning!!

If you want, I could take the lid off and snap some photos. PM me with your e mail if you need the pics.

7. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    If you look you will see that the original GP12X, XV, and SMX do not show the model # or wattage on the front panel. They only show the model # on the rackmount versions and heads that have the UV light.

8. gil_mor

gil_mor

Apr 24, 2006
    Sedona, Az
    Just got Groundloop's pics... Wow.. really nice.
    Ill go and check that amp tommorw, with a 115 Crate cab.
    Long ride, but i feel ready.
    Thnx to you guys.
    Keep up the good work.

9. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    A side note but I've seen a few trace items with this handwritten serial #, model # ect. actually rubbed or smeared off over the years, so this makes it even harder to identify these.

10. Groundloop

Groundloop

Jun 21, 2005
    Toronto
    Glad to have helped.

Let us know how it turns out. And remember, if you buy it...

...it doesn't exist without pictures! :D

11. Bass for Beef

Bass for Beef

Aug 11, 2005
    Nebraska
    I own the GP 12 Series 6. Its an awesome pre amp, verry clean sounding. Works good with electric and upright. The noise supression feature is cool for noisy basses like an older fender jazz or somethin along those lines.

12. I bought a later version of the GP12SMX and was wondering if this was from before the gibson day and if anyone can give an apx date? The serial number and date of manufacture are worn off on the back. My cab is also an older model but I dont know what the name is or if its gibson not etc but the model number on the cab is 1068h if that helps. Thanks

13. Groundloop

Groundloop

Jun 21, 2005
    Toronto
    If you take the lid of it there might be a "Quality Control" sticker on the side of the chassis. On my RAH300 SMX there's such a sticker with the build date, employee number of who built it, and the employee number of the person that did the final inspection.

Can't help w/ the cab.

14. gil_mor

gil_mor

Apr 24, 2006
    Sedona, Az
    Hi all, just to let you know, the amp was an AH200, and was definitely a series 6 amp.
    The AH200 was writin on the top of the amp, and the guy simply didnt notice.
    Unfortunately, it had a strange problem - so i didnt buy it.

After playing for several minuts, the amp began to wisper after i made a note, it sounded something like a ocen wave in delay.
    Strange enough for me to say "fix it, Then give me a call"...
    The hunt continues...
    Thank's everyone.