1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Trace Elliot GP12SMX... School me?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rojo412, Jan 24, 2013.

1. rojo412

rojo412 Sit down, Danny... Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    I spotted this used at GC today...

108640294_lg.gif

It's a Trace Elliot GP12SMX. Single 12" combo, not light, but tone shaping for days. Made in England.

The reason it caught my eye was as a possible upgrade to my SWR WM10 combo for small gigs and practice. But when I saw it, there's no way it could replace the SWR... too big, too heavy.

However, it sounded really nice, felt like it was built like a brick shipyard, and wasn't too pricey ($350). So I'm kind of thinking of it as a mid size between my WM10 and my MB500/GS212 half stack.

Thoughts? Yeas or Nays?

2. I'd rock it.:D

Afaik it's a 15". The matching cab is 1153. No other rig required.

3. rtav

rtav Millionaire Stuntman, Half-Jackalope

Dec 12, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Oh yeah. Grab that up.

4. Razman

Razman Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2005
    Orange Park, FL
    I concur.

5. Dean N

Dean N

Jul 4, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Get it.

The "12smx" refers to the 12 band equalizer "sound management" pre-amp (not a 12" driver).

A Google quickie:

"SMX = Sound Management X series: this referenced the inclusion of a dual independent band compressor. Two entirely separate compressors, one optimised for LOW frequencies and one optimised for HIGH frequencies, but both individually adjustable by the user. It also referenced the inclusion of an INPUT BLEND control which allows you to select the signal to drive the rest of the preamp from two entirely separate FRONT END circuits. One being a SOLID STATE circuit using an FET to provide a very high impedance input, the other being a VALVE stage, also providing a high impedance but in addition adding that something extra that only a valve can. Any mix of these two input stages can be selected using the INPUT BLEND control. It also referenced the inclusion of an adjustable CROSSOVER section found on the rear panel of the larger STEREO units. (i.e. AH600SMX GP12)"

A trace rig with two 15's and adequate power? Careful.. structure damage may ensue. :ninja:

6. It will be academic by morning. Someone will buy it online.

7. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    Time to saddle up and get back to GC quickly before someone snatches that up, $350 is a great price and with a 1048 cab you have a mini monster rig

8. sonic 7

sonic 7 Supporting Member

Aug 10, 2011
    Queens, N.Y.C.
    Grab it !

9. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Hey, if anyone here joneses for it more than I, feel free. It won't hurt my feelings.
    I'd have to off my Avatar 212 and GK800RB to even begin to consider this. And frankly, I'm not even sure about that.

10. Those amps are brilliant...trust me.

11. IPYF

IPYF

Mar 31, 2011
    Honestly I love Trace tone as much as the next cat, but if you've got a GK800RB in good working order, and you like it, I wouldn't go parting with that head in order to get the Trace. There's every chance the 800 could become a collectors item in the not too distant future. I know if I had one it wouldn't be going anywhere.

12. jungleheat

jungleheat Inactive

Jun 19, 2011
    DC
    Yeah, I'm sure the 800RB will definitely be a collectors item. Probably by next week. They are extremely rare and limited to only about 50 million copies over a limited time span of 25-30 years. I would suggest everyone snatch up as many as they can (if you can find any, good luck) before they go completely extinct.

Seriously though, that old Trace stuff is killer, you'd be lucky to have it.

DogsNbeer likes this.
  13. Great deal on a great sounding amp. I hope someone here snags it.

14. IPYF

IPYF

Mar 31, 2011
    You don't have to mock me dude. I know if I were lucky enough to have a 800RB I wouldn't be selling it now it's discontinued. I haven't seen one for sale over here in months and when they do come up, they're not cheap and usually they're imported from the US so you have to deal with transformer boxes and the like.

I certainly wouldn't trade it for a Trace combo over here. Trace gear is remarkably common and usually very competitively priced; I think a lot of it came out from the UK in the 90s must have been a hot ticket for a while. Now people don't want it because it's heavy.

15. Razman

Razman Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2005
    Orange Park, FL
    Lol, +1 on the thoughts on the GK. I had a GP12SMX 4x10 combo - never should have sold it. That said, I'm a big TE fan (anyone got an AH1000 and BFC cab laying around collecting dust??) but having recently acquired an 800rb my GAS has been temporarily quenched. Oh, a 90's SMX in a 2x10 combo would be sweet too...

Raz

16. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    IPYF, please don't take offense at jungleheat's statements. There's a lot of truth to the fact that that amp is ancient bass technology. They've made it forever and probably always will, so there are a lot out there...
    But the exact same thing can be said about the P bass and they still make those... and the old ones are worth a ton of money.
    (And honestly, how they have the stones to charge so much for such a simple piece of gear for a new one, I'll never know... but that's a topic for another forum)

The 800 I have is an old one and it works well, so I'm definitely happy with it. Collectors item or not, it's a great amp.

The Trace seemed cool, but not enough to pry this from me.

17. jungleheat

jungleheat Inactive

Jun 19, 2011
    DC
    IPYF, you're missing the point that you're (presumably) in the UK and the OP is in the states. Of course Trace gear is "common" over there, since that's where it's from. Just like you guys have vastly more Laneys, Hiwatts, etc...

Over here, 800RBs are a dime a dozen, and I would be surprised if there are less than 10-20 on ebay right now for less than $500. They made a bajillion of them over the course of about 30 years. They will never remotely be a collectors item. IN regards to old Fender basses, basses wear a lot more over time than amps do, which means they are less durable. So yeah, if you find a 40 or 50 year old bass in great shape, it's an amazing find. But amps, the years don't have much effect on them, and it's easier to replace a few caps or tubes as opposed to a warped neck on a bass.

Now over here, Trace just never had that much market share overall. There are a bunch of them, but they're not seen at every guitar shop, pawnshop, or classified ad listing like GK and Ampeg are. The head in that Trace combo would probably destroy an 800RB frankly, even if you took it out and used it with the cab/s of your choice.

The 800RB is great too, but it's nothing so special and sacred that the guy couldn't try the Trace for a while, and he could certainly always get another 800RB if he wanted.

18. PawleeP

PawleeP

Oct 8, 2012
    East Coast
    wondering if any one knows how the dual compressor compares to an empress or diamond bass compressor on one of these? and how rampant of a problem is the non-availability of the IC chips for the compressor? Paul

19. IC chips being discontinued is just something I read on TB, never heard of any SMX being scrapped because of it.

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 1, 2021