1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Trace Elliot GP12SMX speaker connection question??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mav, Jun 6, 2007.

1. mav

mav

Jun 10, 2003
    Hi All,
    My amp, Trace Elliot RAH250SMX 2 X 8ohm speaker outputs
    Trace Elliot 2x10 and 1X15 8ohm each.
    Can't get 2 cabs working at same time:mad:

Both speaker outputs working fine, solo.
    When i plug 2 cabs together only one cab works.
    One speaker output cuts out.
    Anyone have an answer?
    Thanks
    MAV

2. Sounds like the amp's cutting out when you run it at 4 ohms. Is it still under warranty?

3. CrackBass

CrackBass

Aug 10, 2004
    huntsville,AL
    sounds like a jack problem, try daisy chaining the cabs into the good output jack. if that works you still might want to get the amp looked at, cause that's not normal.

4. That's why I thought maybe it was the amp cutting out, not the speaker jacks...

Is it the same speaker out that cuts every time you hook both up or is it an alternating problem?

5. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    +1

That's what I would try first just to see if that works. If it does, you know its just a jack problem. If it doesn't, your amp is shutting down when it is seeing a 4ohm load. Either way, get it to a tech.

BTW, did you try both cabs using both jacks?

6. mav

mav

Jun 10, 2003
    Thanks,
    This has got me puzzled because the speaker outputs were working a few days ago, unless i was imagining things.
    No warranty, amp was built early 90's
    I spoke to someone at my local bass centre and he said i should just daisy chain them, which works BTW.
    I've tried every combination (i have 4 different speaker leads)
    It could be an ohm problem maybe the amp thinks when two speakers are connected it can't run at 4ohms.
    Is there a switch inside that i could flick or a bent or loose wire??
    here's a pic of the back panel

7. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Sounds like then maybe the two jacks are shorting across each other. Go have a tech check them out. It shouldn't cost much and if they need to replace the jack(s) you can get the correct part from British Audio Service in the US. Yeah, I know it would take a while to get them down there but you can still use your amp until the parts arrive and then take it back to be fixed. Good luck and keep us posted.

8. mav

mav

Jun 10, 2003
    I called up a local amp tech and he said it should be fine to daisy chain the speakers, also told him about a slight hiss and he said not to worry about it, it's an old amp. so i might just leave it at that.
    Next i'm going to pop open the hood and give it a spring clean.
    Thanks
    MAV.

10. mav

mav

Jun 10, 2003
    Thanks Brad,
    I agree. I'd still like to take it to the doctor for a check-up. Guess i'm concerned that if i take it to a tech i'll be paying more for a repair job than what the amps worth.

Other problems? :eek:
    BTW, the more i play though this amp the more i likey:)
    Even my ODB-3 sounds nice now.

11. Tim Fordham

Tim Fordham

Jul 26, 2007
    I have this problem and it ***** me, I am looking for a message by joel-something ,he says he had his output transformer replaced and it cleaned the amp up and made a big difference. Let me know if you find it.

12. mav

mav

Jun 10, 2003
    I'm just daisy chaining the speaker leads.
    amp--speaker1--speaker2
    It work for me.
    MAV

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 21, 2021