1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Trace elliot gp12smx

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mav, May 31, 2007.

1. mav

mav

Jun 10, 2003
    I've found a Trace elliot gp12smx pre amp in a pawn shop for $250 AUD, pretty beat up and i wont get a chance to try it out.
    Do you think i should go for it?
    Might be an upgrade from my SWR Studio220.
    I think i'll need a power amp to get this baby running too?
    Would any power amp do the job? say.....:bag: behringer or cheeper brands??
    Thanks
    MAV

2. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    As long as it is a power amp it will work if it is a head then it would need to have power amp in connections so you can Bypass the preamp in the head and use the trace por the pre. If it works it should be worth what they are asking. Is there any way to be sure it functions or get a guarantee if it does not function you can return it? I say if you want to take the chance it could be very impressive . they were the Pre to have in their day and they have built in highand low Compressors.

3. mav

mav

Jun 10, 2003
    On the back it read 250watt - 500watts maybe that means it has a power amp:confused: . It's the rack mount model with no visable fan from the rear.

4. 2manband

2manband

Mar 21, 2007
    I have a GP12SMX that I like a lot. I think I got mine from another talkbasser for about $225 or $250 U.S.

Are there any jacks with writing to indicate the power outupt or the minimum impedence on the back? If there are - it includes a power amp. If not, then it's just the pre.

Can you post a pic of the back panel?

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 2, 2021