Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Trace Elliot GP12X amp - opinions?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bass-only, Oct 4, 2002.

1. Bass-only

Bass-only Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2001
    Cleveland
    Thought I'd try to collect some opinions on the newer Trace Elliot amps. I'm talking about the model with the harmonic enhancement button, valve gain stage, noise reduction, etc.

I have a 122H combo (210, horn) coming and while I know there's a lot a talk on how "down hill" the Trace stuff has gone since the Gibson take-over,
    are there any positive comments on this newer version of the old classic?

I've used RAH600SMX amps in the past and never had a problem with them and (to me) they sounded fantastic!

By the way, I talked to a Gibson customer service rep yesterday and (according to him) they have discontinued the bass and electric guitar amps and will only continue to make acoustic amps.

Anyway - I'd appreciate some feedback on the newer Trace GP12X amps!

2. drewie

drewie

Jan 20, 2002
    Cardiff, Wales, UK
    That's sad news indeed if the Gibson rep is to be believed. I've always liked TE gear.

I've not tried any of the GP12X gear due to the music shops in my area not stocking it (and this is the UK!)

Incidentally, a local shop is selling a GP12SMX pre-amp in pretty good condition (ie. everything works, though the casing is scratched) for £150 ($230).

Times have changed (add your own comment here)!

3. Kevinlane

Kevinlane Supporting Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Missouri, near Branson
    You're referring to the newer Trace SMX series(has dual band comp, tone balance, and valve Solild state blend)

I have had four different Trace Elliot amps in the past fifteen years, and while the SMX sereis does have some good ideas, I don't hear the same quality TE sound that you would get from the Series 6 (or X series 12 band but no comp or valve) or the older 11 band.

The SMX series didn't seem to have that same ability to cut through like the Series 6 and older. I did like the tone balance A LOT on the SMX, and I thought the comp would be even better if there was a smoother threshhold settings.(they just seemed to grab very early in the throw of the pots, barely turn them on and then too much too soon.

In sumation, I prefer the tone on the Series 6 and want to find a preamp of that era. The Smx had good ideas, but left out the most important part, that TE tone.

PS Trace mosfet power amps still sound great!

4. drewie

drewie

Jan 20, 2002
    Cardiff, Wales, UK
    I bought that GP12SMX pre-amp I mentioned today, and I have to say it was a steal. It sounds great - I can't wait to record with it.