1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Trace Elliot GP7 / GP11 - Opinions?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Foundry Studios, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Foundry Studios

Foundry Studios

Mar 22, 2013
    Hi,
    I run a studio and have been considering a Trace GP-7 or GP-11 combo amp. I don't know a lot about what's out there, I have a budget of $500 or so to buy a bass amp for my recording studio / rehearsal space. My requirements are:

1) good quality sounds at a range of volume levels depending on whether in a recording or rehearsal situation
    2) versatility for a range of styles - i'm thinking the muti-band eq should make things easier to calibrate to different styles?
    3) reliability - must be durable but will not be carted around like a gigging amp, so I don't mind if it's heavy.

The GP-7s I've seen are generally 1x15" combos and whilst this seems like it will work great for recording, I don't know whether big bands might drown it out.

The GP-11s I've seen are 4x10" combos and look gig ready, but I'm not sure if they would offer many advantages over the smaller amp for a recording setup.

If you were recording, what would you prefer to see when you walk in the door? What about if you were rehearsing?

Thanks!
    Seb

2. grey area

grey area

Sep 2, 2009
    almeria spain
    dont know about the combo but i have the gp11head and its killer and covers a heap of tones as well as a loud drummer.

3. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    Played a GP7 SM 115 combo in variety cover bands for years with no probs. The bands weren't painfully loud so it kept up ok at 200w (@ 8 ohms). I must say it had great definition and the eq sliders were a big help. Great tone. There is also a balance knob (biases toward the lows or highs). Bought it in the very early '90s. It was already very used, so I have no idea what year it might be (mid-to-late '80s?). It still plays like a champ and has never been in the shop. I only quit using it a few years ago to get some lightweight gear. Great amp, great tones. Reliable, IMO.