1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Trace Elliot GP7 SM. Everything you know!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Kiril Basso, Apr 4, 2019.

1. Greetings fellow bass enthusiasts! I have the opportunity to pick up a Trace Elliot GP7 SM 300, rated at 280 W/RMS for 280BGN, which is about 160USD. I have a 410 Hartke cab that I can pair it with. Played with a Trace Elliot GP12SMX combo last year, so I have basic knowledge on tone. Can you enlighten me on this, is it a good price or is it suspicious. A comparison between those two would be helpful. TE's are quite rare here in Bulgaria, so I suppose the seller does not know what he is trying to get rid of. Thanks in advance! Kiril Out!

Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
  2. Clark Dark

Clark Dark

Mar 3, 2005
    earth
    As with any transaction, if possible play through it, listen for anything that may indicate an electronic problem before paying. If there is a problem how rare are techs there???

3. The uploaded pictures do not show any signs of wear. Owner claims that it is in proper working shape. Only one EQ slider end is missing, everything else looks new. You are asking for amp techs or? I have some guys who can help me in case of failures.

4. rtav

rtav Millionaire Stuntman, Half-Jackalope

Dec 12, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    You can dial in about any tone you want with TE GP7 preamps, and the volume will not be an issue through a 4x10 cab. As long as the amp is in good shape, it's a great deal!

5. Can you compare the GP7 and the GP12SMX? Any experiences with them overall?

6. rtav

rtav Millionaire Stuntman, Half-Jackalope

Dec 12, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    I've owned both and currently have a Series V with an 11 band eq and no compressor.

Preamp-wise, the GP7 lacks the built in compressor that the GP12 SMX has, plus it doesn't have as many eq bands (obviously), but apart from that (and any other crossovers, outputs, etc that the GP12SMX may have had) there really is very little difference.

If you liked the GP12, you should like the GP7 as well.

Microbass likes this.
  7. Rtav pretty much nailed it. I’d say the GP12SMX is warmer sounding, assuming you’re using the tube at full blend. They are pretty close overall though.

8. I remember using the blend at 12'o clock, and the sound was so warm yet punchy and articulate, plus that unique voicing is all over my consciousness :D

Microbass likes this.
  9. The GP7 pedal into power amp sounds just like the SMX without the compression on and minus some flexibility in the EQ. I'd rock it. Not enough warmth in the tube to make that much of a difference.

10. I think the beauty of it is the blend on full with a decent amount of the SMX comp. I quite fancy one of those SM7 pedals.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 4, 2020