Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Trace Elliot GP7SM combo question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by y-o-y, Sep 1, 2005.

1. y-o-y

y-o-y

Aug 23, 2005
    Hi, i am new to talkbass forums and i have a question for anyone that is familiar with the older pre-gibson Trace Elliot combos.

I recently bought a used Trace Elliot GP7SM 200 combo that does not have a manual. under the input gain dial there are two buttons in a section called Pre Shape. the buttons are labeled Shape1/Shape 2 and In/Out. i have determined the In/Out button to engage or disengage the "Pre Shape", but i have no idea what Shape 1 and Shape 2 do to the eq.

if anyone can clue me into or direct me to a location where i can download an old manual (the new ones TE GP7 preamp does not have this feature), i would be very appreciative.

thanks

2. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Welcome to TB. Fine choice in amplification! Here you go SM manual . Here is a link to lots of other Trace manuals, parts and other cool Trace related stuff. British Audio Service

Your right about the pre-shape buttons. As far as what they do to the EQ Pre-shape 1 is the classic Trace sound. It boosts bass, treble and cuts mids. Pre-shape 2 is a little less extreme, It has a thicker bass boost, less of a mid-range cut, and not as much treble boost. Hope this helps. :)

3. y-o-y

y-o-y

Aug 23, 2005
    Perfect. thanks!

4. Pigbobman

Pigbobman

Mar 13, 2007
    Thanks! Helped me out a treat too.

5. I couldn't open the link that 43% sent, so the file I've attached might be a duplicate. Here is a GP7SM manual from either the late 1990s or early 2000s. I bought a used 130 watt GP7SM about a dozen years ago. Mine is a great sounding amp, but only useful for practices, quiet gigs or when you can run a line out to the main PA system. Plus I've had some dependability issues - its crapped out on a few gigs. The repairs were fairly inexpensive (less than $75 per) but still .... if you can't count on the amp. Even thought it works, I now only use it as a 15" speaker cabinet for gigs where I need less than my SWR 6x10 cabinet.

6. Y-O-Y, The GP7SM manual that I have is too big too attach here. Let me know if you still need one and I'll email it to you.