Trace Elliot GP7SM combo question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by y-o-y, Sep 1, 2005.

1. y-o-y

Aug 23, 2005
    Hi, i am new to talkbass forums and i have a question for anyone that is familiar with the older pre-gibson Trace Elliot combos.

I recently bought a used Trace Elliot GP7SM 200 combo that does not have a manual. under the input gain dial there are two buttons in a section called Pre Shape. the buttons are labeled Shape1/Shape 2 and In/Out. i have determined the In/Out button to engage or disengage the "Pre Shape", but i have no idea what Shape 1 and Shape 2 do to the eq.

if anyone can clue me into or direct me to a location where i can download an old manual (the new ones TE GP7 preamp does not have this feature), i would be very appreciative.

2. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Welcome to TB. Fine choice in amplification! Here you go SM manual . Here is a link to lots of other Trace manuals, parts and other cool Trace related stuff. British Audio Service

Your right about the pre-shape buttons. As far as what they do to the EQ Pre-shape 1 is the classic Trace sound. It boosts bass, treble and cuts mids. Pre-shape 2 is a little less extreme, It has a thicker bass boost, less of a mid-range cut, and not as much treble boost. Hope this helps. :)
  3. y-o-y

Aug 23, 2005
    Perfect. thanks!
  4. Pigbobman

Mar 13, 2007
    Thanks! Helped me out a treat too.
  5. I couldn't open the link that 43% sent, so the file I've attached might be a duplicate. Here is a GP7SM manual from either the late 1990s or early 2000s. I bought a used 130 watt GP7SM about a dozen years ago. Mine is a great sounding amp, but only useful for practices, quiet gigs or when you can run a line out to the main PA system. Plus I've had some dependability issues - its crapped out on a few gigs. The repairs were fairly inexpensive (less than $75 per) but still .... if you can't count on the amp. Even thought it works, I now only use it as a 15" speaker cabinet for gigs where I need less than my SWR 6x10 cabinet.
  6. Y-O-Y, The GP7SM manual that I have is too big too attach here. Let me know if you still need one and I'll email it to you.