Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

trace elliot head bridging question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by outofstep, Dec 26, 2003.

1. outofstep

outofstep

Dec 5, 2001
    Sonoma, CA
    i have an older trace elliot head and a trace elliot pre-amp.. the amp has two 250watt (i think) outputs 4 ohms each.. there is a seperate volume knob for each channel.. then there is a "stereo/mono" switch... am i correct in assuming that when its switched to mono it'll bridge the amp and send more juice through one output?

or am i just backwards and dont understand what it means to bridge an amp???

i'm looking at making my rig more pub-accesible (going from two cabs to one 4x10) and thats why i'm worried about pushing enough air for my rock n roll band... mind you that both my guitarists have marshall jcm 900's ... thanks -matt

2. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I have an old Trace Elliot power amp (that I LOVE, by the way) and it has the same mono/stereo switch. Unfortunately, Trace Elliots are not bridgeable.

That switch simply refers to the input. If you switch it to mono, you have mono input, but if you switch it to stereo, you can use the dual, stereo inputs.

Hope this helps.

By the way, does yours have XLR-only speaker outputs or does it have 1/4" outputs as well? Mine only has the XLR outs.

3. outofstep

outofstep

Dec 5, 2001
    Sonoma, CA
    it has two xlr-speaker outs... its so funky. i bought it from a friend used.

there is a pre-amp with a "stage out" volume knob that basically is used to adjust the volume out to the actual amp. and then on the amp all the inputs and outputs are on the front so i have to run a cable from the back of the preamp into the front of the amp and then a speaker cable out to the back of the cables.

it has a pretty sweet sound. cuts through real nice. add a sansamp to it and the thing is golden