Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Trace Elliot HexaValve All Tube Bass Amp Head w/400 Watts - ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassGreaser, Jan 12, 2003.

1. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Trace Elliot HexaValve All Tube Bass Amp Head w/400 Watts - anyone ever heard of this amp?

2. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
  3. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    sorry VA350....are these good all tube amps?

4. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Psycho
    how is it, you know about every tube amp made

5. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    how does the Trace Elliot HexaValve compair to the mesa 400+

6. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Psycho
    may I say that you have been very helpful. I've asked so many damn questions about different tube amps and you're always there to help. THANKS! I think I might get the Trace Elliot HexaValve....OH, how many power tubes, and what kind, 6550?

7. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    cool...as far as speaker outs on the back?

8. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I used to own the quadra valve. it was VERY VERY loud!
    I like it, but it was too clean. I wanted a dirtyer sound out of a full tube head.

9. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Yvon
    did it still have that all tube fatness

10. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    not really, it sounded more like a transistor head to me. If you want a real tube sound i wouldn't go with that head. Maybe some nice tube distortion somewhere in your singnal chain would help a lot. But it sounded cold for a tube head. If you have a chance to try it before you buy it, it would be perfect.

11. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    psycho
    do you think if I replaced all the tubes(pre/power) with JJ or Svetlana tubes, would I get a fat tube amp sound from this head

12. Sammy

Sammy

Aug 31, 2000
    SoCal
    Psycho,

Have you tryed the V8?

Thanks, Sam

13. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    does HexaValve have more of that Aguilar sound

14. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    very helpfull info...so basically it has a SS sound but it's a tube amp

15. My mesa M2000 has XLR speaker outs. I always wondered why they did that. I'd have preferred Speakons. Ah well...

16. amper

amper

Dec 4, 2002
    US
    Think of it as a V6, but with 6550's for the power stage, and a GP12SMX preamp stage instead of a V-Type preamp stage...it's a much older design, but probably the ultimate in terms of cool but incredibly obscure gear.

You know, it's funny, but Trace Elliot switched later on to KT-88's for the output stages of the V-Type series--anyone who knows tubes can tell you that KT-88's are "more hi-fi" than 6550's, but for some reason, nobody else is using KT-88's in their equivalent amps.

Why is this? I think it's because those companies that are still producing tube power stages intentionally want their amps to sound somewhat more "dirty", but in my book KT-88's are still better all around. What I'd like to know is, what other amps are able to handle the KT-88's in place of the 6550's (Aguilar? Eden? Demeter? Ampeg? other?). The only other amp manufacturer I'm aware of that's using KT-88's is VHT, but they don't make a bass-specific amp...

Hey, Psycho, how would you compare the Twin/Quatra/Hexa/(was there an Octa-?) series with the VA's with the V-Type's? I personally think the biggest problem with tube amps is the output transformers need to be more something or other to tighten up the bottom end, but then probably most trad tube users would think that sounded too "hi-fi"...

17. amper

amper

Dec 4, 2002
    US
    On a related note, who makes a good XLR speaker cable? Monster says they can custom build them for me, but I'd like to know if there are other options. Or--how difficult would it be to add a Speakon jack (possibly in place of the XLR) on a Trace Elliot amp/cab?

18. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    well I will be running the head to two EA CxL-110's

19. Psycho, just an FYI on the V8... they actually did ship pre-Gnashville (as Mike Tobias likes to refer to Gibson) which is when I got mine. I remember talking to the folks there on their last day - it was truly a sad moment. V8 is actually quite a bit different than the V6 internally, although it has the same great tone control setup found on the V6. I'm EXTREMELY pleased with it, especially the tube compression. Thank gawd I don't have to rely on Gibson for service.

I was hoping for something as well-engineered as an Aguilar and the V8 isn't quite that, but the sound is there and it's close enough for me.

Oh yes, Amper... sadly there never was an OctaValve. I kept my TwinValve as a practice amp. Loved the sound, and searched forever for a Hexa (which I couldn't find) so opted for V6 and then V8.

Cheers