Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Trace Elliot MP-11 preamp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by beadgc23, May 18, 2005.

1. It was the big Trace programmable preamp, back in the 1980's. Has anyone used/does anyone use this preamp? Any thoughts, pro or con? And finally, does anyone remember the retail price or current value.

I've been googlin' - there's not much out there.

2. There were two of them up for sale recently on evil-bay, but unfortunately without the footswitch in both cases. It might have been from the bassplayer for George Michael or someone like that. I would be worried about what to do with one of these in the event of a problem, as the electronics and logic are fairly complex. I'm sure they would sound great if 100%. Surely we all remember that "The Ox" used these back in the day...

3. <<I'm sure they would sound great if 100%. Surely we all remember that "The Ox" used these back in the day...>>

They do - by some ridiculous co-incidence I snagged one locally for a decent price. It's well used but mechanically & electronically 100%, built like the proverbial brick outhouse (Trace used to know how to make them back in the early '90s). It also sounds improbably good! I traded out the preamp in my Super Redhead for this baby and suddenly all is big, strong and effortless, like good studio monitoring (no dear, not NS10's) and very quiet with it.

It has instrument & line inputs, a loop and...the mythical floorpedal. This weighs as much as the preamp, switches the 20 EQ memories and (so I believe) sends the program change commands from the MIDI output to switch your rack gear. Nice. Has jolly red lights too.

I'd kill for a manual for this thing. Wonder if Peavey UK have one?

4. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX

Check with British Audio Service... they may know where to dredge one up.