Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Trace Elliot noise?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jondog, Mar 13, 2003.

1. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I've got a TE SM-7 eq pedal that I love. Preshape 1 is a basic ingredient in my tone. The only problem is, it's a bit noisy, especially when I use a cab w/ a tweeter.

I've been thinking about getting a TE preamp in hopes that it won't be as noisy as the pedal. Does anybody know which models have the Preshape 1 and 2 buttons? TE users, are your preamps quiet? I've been wondering if the noise is merely because the treble is boosted w/ preshape 1, and that there is no real way around it.

2. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I have an AH600 GP7 with the two pre-shaping buttons you mention. It's a quiet amp overall.

What kind of noise, exactly, are you experiencing? It may be that you have your highs cranked up too much ( a little EQing can go a long way) and that your tweeter is turned up too much, which can cause hiss.

3. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    It's the ssshhh kind of noise that typically accompanies too much treble. I run my tone knob all the way up on my basses and flat on my pre (tube works blue tube).

Unfortunately, my tweeters are not adjustable. My BE cab has it on all the time. When I use a cab w/ no tweet, there is no ssshhh problem. However, live I'm always running into a PA w/ tweets so I'd like to find a way to get the Trace tone w/out the noise.

If I have to just put up w/ it, I will. I've got a noise suppressor, so the ssshhh only comes out when I play, and with the whole band it gets covered pretty much.

4. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Have you tried turning down the own-board treble and then ajusting accordingly and conversely on the preamp? You might be able to tweak your sound a little better this way and eliminate some hiss.

5. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Yes, I can manage it a bit w/ the other treble knobs, but the TE pedal is definitely the hiss source. When I bypass it, the hiss goes away, but so does the great eq shape I like. I was hoping the real preamps would have better quality than the pedal.