Trace Elliot or Ampeg?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Primus_rocks, Feb 7, 2005.

1. Ampeg BA115HP

2 vote(s)
  2. Trace Elliot G7sm250

11 vote(s)
  1. Primus_rocks

Jan 26, 2005
    See this is the Deal....I have a trace elliot head(G7sm250) right now with a 2x12 cab and a 1x15 cab(the 15 puts out almost no sound at all)( Both Cabs are Yorkville). anyways I'm happy with the sound but not as happy as I want to be about it. There`s a used Ampeg BA115HP (a 1x15 Combo ) that sounds awesome and i think that i would like the sound of that better.....anyways just looking for feedback of what you guys here at TB would do

thanks a lot
  2. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    [​IMG] Not even a question for me! If you like the Trace try adding a another cab that actually is working properly. The efficiency of that Yorkville 115 must really suck or something is wrong with it. An Avatar 115 or 212 would probably fill out your sound real nice.

Ofcourse if you like the Ampeg sound, [​IMG] , go for it. j/k :D

Man, going from Trace to a 'Peg is a big tone change. If I had to give up my Trace tone for an Ampeg, well.......[​IMG]..............:D
  3. Primus_rocks

Jan 26, 2005
    but i find the trace clips too easily and secondly its very noisy(humming)
  4. i think we are long lost brothers... :p

Primus, the humming could be from electrical interference, or bad grounding on your bass. If you would like to be sure the Trace ain't quite for you, take it down to a store and put it through some different cabs, and also make sure to try out that ampeg!!

Gluck. I haven't played that ampeg, and I'm a hardcore Trace fan, so I couldn't give the pros and cons...
  5. basspunk2005

Jan 31, 2005
    England UK
    i like the sound of the ampeg 8x10, but as i am a solid user of <a style='text-decoration: none; border-bottom: 3px double;' href="" onmouseover="window.status='trace elliot'; return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; return true;">trace elliot</a>(ah300-7 head going into a trace 4x10) i would have to say trace not because I dont like ampeg simply as i have never had the pleasure to play through one. TRACE anyday, and as for the trace cabs clipping, this could be down to having set too much gain or your eq being boosted too much in a certain area, who knows