1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Trace Elliot (or any amp) questions (Cleaning tolex, rusty screws, speaker ring etc)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fenderhutz, Jul 21, 2012.

1. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    I grabbed a used Trace Elliot combo yesterday used and the tolex is pretty grey and dull.

Other than ordering something online is there anything say around the household or wal-mart you can buy to clean up and shine the tolex?

Also has a couple rusty screws. I know with things like copper pennys you can use salt and white vinegar and it makes the wear disappear. What about for screws? Any solution for this?

One more thing, the rubber ring around the bottom of the speaker is coming off a TINY bit. What sealant can I buy just to secure it in place. I have a home depot nearby.

I don't want to drop a ton of cash at British Audio Service to grab screws and was looking for a solution.

I don't know if this belongs in amps since it's amp care, feel free to move.

2. Exploiter8

Exploiter8 Demons run when a good man goes to war

Jan 18, 2010
    Midwest
    Commercial FREE!
  3. VS

VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Discounted Gear: Peavey
    I used to use cleaners for rubber,vinyl & leather. Now, all my cabs are Trace and furry. :D

4. VS

VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Discounted Gear: Peavey
    As for the screws, use an auto parts cleaning solvent. Just put a little bit in a coffee can and let them soak. Maybe hit them with a wire brush. -Luke

5. Auguste

Auguste

Apr 5, 2012
    Wire brush . . . Use the brass ones like they use to clean golf clubs . . . The SS wire brushes will scratch the surface.

6. Exploiter8

Jan 18, 2010
    Midwest
    Commercial FREE!
    I've used a black permanent marker for screw heads.

X8

7. Exploiter8

Jan 18, 2010
    Midwest
    Commercial FREE!
    Rubber ring...

Gasket? I've used CA Glue.

The part that holds the cone to the basket? Rubber cement.

X8

8. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    When I worked for Soundwave back in the mid-80's (the original Trace Elliot distributor,) we used to use Fantastic and a nylon bristled scrub brush to clean the tolex. There are probably better cleaners now, but Fantastic worked just find at the time.

9. fenderhutz

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    Never used CA glue before. The speaker itself is fine. It's the thick rubber ring going around the edge. Would CA work for that? I thought a rubber based sealant would work better.

As for the Rolex, it cleaned up fine. Just trying to get some shine :)

10. scowboy

scowboy Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Sacramento area
    I'm a 409 guy. Same as Fantastic. Start with the well known houshold stuff and and get more agressive as needed. There is a such a thing as rust remover. It's available at any decent hardware store.

I redid the foam surrounds on my old Infinity speakers years ago. Infinity recommended a glue from GC called GC Glue. It's available at any electronic component store. In Sacramento where I live and example of such a store would be Metro Electronics.

11. I've used Armor All on an old showman head and it shines like new.

12. fenderhutz

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    Well I ended up buying a Loctite version of GC glue. It is a weatherproof clear silicone based adhesive.

I forget the glaze for the tolex.

I hopefully will get to try it tonight.