Trace Elliot or Roland?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Moose, Mar 8, 2000.

1. Moose

Mar 8, 2000
    I'm swopping an old Marshall guitar amp for a bass amp and have been offered either a Roland DB500 or a Trace Elliot 715SMC. Can anyone offer any advice on which is better?
  2. I would go for the 715. Had one myself, worked fine until i realised that the 150 watts wasnt loud enough for me.. but heyy.. my bandmates call me LOUDwig and that is not without reason.. now.

3. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
  4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I've heard great things about the Roland DB-500, right up until the point where I plugged a bass into one and checked it out. Not impressed. You might like it, though. It has modeling capabilities and is supposedly very nice. You may be one of the folks who loves it...give it a try.

I've owned high end Trace Elliot gear.
  5. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    On a recent bass amp shopping trip I tried the Roland DB 500 and 700, and the Trace 715 and the model with 300 watts 2 1o's, and 12-band preamp. The Roland DB 500 didn't have enough booty but the DB 700 did, and the programmability is cool. Still, I'm not sure I'd want a digital bass amp right now. I know people who have used the Roland JC-120 guitar amps for years without any problems. The Trace 715 sounded good with after twiddling the eq sliders, shape switches, and compressor knobs, but the one I tried made several horrible internal rattles at medium volume which immediately disqualified it. The more expensive Trace wasn't nearly as loud or punchy as the SWR Redhead and Eden Metro, so I passed on that. I've also heard reliability nightmares about Traces from stores that carry them-so keep that in mind. I ended up getting an Ampeg B2R and SWR SOB and Goliath Jr. cabinets, which work well for me.
  6. MrGump

Apr 20, 2000
    Ive been using Trace gear for about 15 years now.Ive never had to have ANYTHING fixed EVER.I do 99% of my gigs in medium sized bars(100-300 people),and all I use is a BLX 130 or 80.If I need more power I have a 69 SVT.Take the Trace.But make sure your getting true value for your Marshall.You say its "old".How old is "old"?It may have some real worth.
  7. Moose

Mar 8, 2000
    Thanks for all your replies, Sorry for the late reply, but my computer has been down for a while!

Your comments match what I've heard so far, and given the difficulty in getting digital gear fixed here in South Africa, the Trace seems to be a better option. I envy you guys' choice of gear over there, unfortunately gear like SWR goes for a fortune here.

My Marshall out of interest is a 50w Plexi lead with tremolo dated about 1966, with a matching 8x10" Marshall cab. Plexi Palace offered me $1850 for it, but shipping it from here is a mission. Local value is only about $800, which is about what we pay for a new Trace 715, so values end up being sort of relative.

Anyone coming here on holiday of course could collect a real bargain!

8. Well, having heard what amp you got.. I think you should demand atleast a trace 7215 which has twice the power of the 715, but in the same box. Actually it is the same but twice as powerful. I mean that Plexi sounds really cool to me :)
  9. Moose

Mar 8, 2000
    I wish! Well if you know anyone coming over who would like to do a swop just let me know.