Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Trace Elliot - Pants or Pearls?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mr Bassman, Nov 7, 2000.

1. Mr Bassman

Mr Bassman

Aug 28, 2000
    UK
    I recently bought a new Tracke 7215SMC (1x15" combo)which sounded fine in my bedroom even when turned up fairly loud (i.e. no apparent distortion or general crappy sound).

The other day my band went in the studio and the amp was miked up. The volume was not especially high and sounded fine whilst we were playing but when I heard the recording it sounded like horse shíté (and that ain't too good).

The only way to get rid of the distortion was to cut the 100Hz to -15dB on the graphic eq which made the sound quite empty.

I was wondering if anyone could shed any light on this because the amp will undoubtedly be miked up at future gigs and I don't want to sound like a cats arse.

Thanx in advance - Niggy®

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    if it sounded that different recorded than it did in the room, the sound engineer is an "arse" as our uk friends would say. the whole job of recording is to make sure the captured sound is at least as good as the actual sound, if not better. it's a pi$$-poor recording engineer that blames the player's equipment on why HE (the engineer) can't get a good sound.

what kind of mic were you using?

and for future reference, don't let an engineer get away with trying to make you change something that works for you because he is an incompetent fool. let him listen to your amp out in the studio and then you both listen in the control room, and then ask him what he is getting paid for.

3. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    or, even more likely, the engineer.

4. phil_chew

phil_chew

Mar 22, 2000
    Asia
    Trace amps normally have a clean sound. So the problem must be the recording process or the engineer. If you cannot afford an expensive "made for bass" mike, try a DI. I think your amp has a DI line out. Or use a DI box. Good luck.

5. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    If its of any interest I have recorded one of these amps with a 1/4 jack from the amp to a Tascam 424mkIII with no distortion. The bass was a Stingray 5. I am even considering buying one (or the 7210)because of this.

JT-I know its a stereotype :) but most sound desk attendants I met blamed everything on everyone else.

6. Well, actually - not quite, John - they might say he was an "ass", or they might even say he was "as useful as a one-legged man at an arse-kicking contest", but I don't think they would say he was an "arse" - a subtle difference, but noticable, as I'm sure you will agree.

- Wil

7. Mr Bassman

Mr Bassman

Aug 28, 2000
    UK
    Thanx for all the advice and suggestions guys. The recurring theme seems to be that it is the sound guy (or at least his set up) which was to blame.

I also phoned trace-elliot themselves who said, well, basically what you guys have been saying above. What was strange was that the sound man *seemed* to know what he was doing (but then that could be me being a gullible arse?)

Thanks all the same. I was considering losing the amp for another brand but if it isn't the amp then Ill hang on to it and see how it fairs up at a gig.

Cheers - Niggy®