1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Trace Elliot pedals ???

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by BOOG, Feb 22, 2021 at 11:10 PM.

1. BOOG

BOOG

Dec 13, 2016
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Curiosity started to burrow of whether, there are any pre-TE elf pedals that emulated Trace Elliot compression, pre amps or drives?

If anyone has ideas/knowledge, do share, please!

2. GMC

GMC Supporting Member

There's a really old TE Dual Band compressor pedal around. The circuit was reproduced by Ashdown as pedal too...however...they are not small and they have some specific power requirements.

BOOG likes this.
  3. BOOG

BOOG

Dec 13, 2016
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Thanks for the insight! I will look into that.

Anyone else know of others?

4. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    yep I had deep experience with the 18v Trace floor EQ. It was a fantastic device! Probably my fav EQ of all time the audio quality was amazing. My current EQ2 is more flexible but doesn't have exactly what the trace had.

BOOG likes this.
  5. Yes, 18 volts. I had one years ago. Ok compressor (not exceptional, but fine), but some component related to the input kept blowing up in the circuitry, it seems it had a hard time with the massive output of my G&L L-2500.

BOOG likes this.
  6. sonic 7

sonic 7 Supporting Member

Aug 10, 2011
    Queens, N.Y.C.
    Those old Trace Elliot dual band compressors do pop up on Reverb and EBay pretty regularly.

BOOG likes this.
  7. rodv66

rodv66 Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2016
    NJ
    I have an old dual band compressor from them. Might even have the 18v adapter

BOOG likes this.
  8. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    Well, the current production Trace Elliot Transit B preamp is supposed to recreate the tone of those old classic Trace Elliot amps, but not sure how close it gets.

BOOG and Nunovsky like this.
  9. GMC

GMC Supporting Member

I used one of these TE compressors for a number of years back in the day...I had a AH-400SM and wished I'd bought the SMX! If you get one, they tend to work best in the FX loop of your amp or right on the end of your chain. If you put it at the beginning of your chain (where most people put 'pressor) it doesn't quite have the same result. The TE Dual band Compressor is more of a "slap" sound effect than a "slap" limiter.
    Ashdown made a version of this compressor too and a 12 band Graphic EQ pedal too. Both can be powered from a regular 9v PSU / Battery where as the TE ones need an 18v supply.

BOOG likes this.
  10. amper

amper

Dec 4, 2002
    US
    Trace Elliot had the SMX Compressor pedal and SM7EQ pedal back in the 1990s. Great stuff, I used to own both.

BOOG likes this.
  11. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    My take on the old TE dual band, with benefit of hindsight, is that it was really special and cool in its day, but it has been superseded in every way by more recent products. Was the TE awesome at the time, and for some years after? Yes, absolutely. Would I recommend seeking one out now? Nope.

BOOG and amper like this.
  12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021