Trace Elliot praise

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jellybass, Jun 22, 2005.

1. jellybass

jellybass Guest

Nov 8, 2004
    Just bought a well-used pre-Gibson (I believe) Trace Elliot Series 6 410 combo with the 12 band eq. One thing to say, perfect. Heavy as hell, however the sound and power of this is unmatched by anything I have ever played. I played an outdoor show last night in front of about 1500-2000 people and I didn't have to turn the volume past 2 1/2 and was plenty loud. Also, it is easily the most articulate sounding combo I have ever heard. Outstanding, too bad it took me this long to find out about Trace Elliot.
  2. basspunk2005

Jan 31, 2005
    England UK
    cool , i really like trace elliot!For band practices i just use a later edition of the commando 15 with the carpet covering, thats pretty good but my main set up is a trace ah300-7 going into a trace 4x10 with tweeter and another trace 4x10 without tweeter. its bloody good, not sure if i can swear but either way its blooming good lol glad you like trace
  3. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Welcome aboard!!

I swear by Trace Elliot! My 250w head sounds amazing. Clean, crisp, warm and organic with tons of balls. Not to mention its louder than many other reputable brands I've tried that are 3-4 times the wattage. The preshapes are cool. The EQ is amazing. The built in compressors (which mine doesn't have) are great. Plus they're built like tanks. Mine's seen a ton of use, and dropped a few times...and still works good as when I got it.
  4. jellybass

jellybass Guest

Nov 8, 2004
    The one I bought was good and used, rips in the tolex and all. This thing sounds absolutely amazing, I was considering adding a BBE maximizer to my Ampeg rig before I stumbled on the Trace. The Trace gives me a better sound than the Ampeg with a BBE and it delivers outstanding mids without losing it's thump, quite an impressive combo but man is it heavy.
  5. PaulWeapon

Jan 17, 2005
    I've had nothing but trouble with both of my Trace Elliotts. The first, a 4x10 combo with the GP11 pre, wasn't in the best physical shape when I bought it. It did not stand up to touring: the input jacks (plastic) broke, so I replaced one with a metal jack. I was not impressed with the build quality inside; it seemed very cheaply made. The cabinet, however, is heavy as hell and I still use it as a cab, just with a different head.

The 1x15 combo I bought (also used) appeared to be in great shape, but died after a year. If you turn it on now, there's just loud hum. I opened it up and found a large capacitor (I think) on the back (maybe part of the power supply?) that looks fried.

I've been too lazy to get them fixed, so now they're just a pair of cabinets to use with my Hartke 3500. I must admit that I did like the way they sounded, back when they worked.
  6. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Paul, you just must have had a run of bad luck Trace. I haven't had one failure with a piece TE equipment. Get those babies fixed and rock out!

Jellybass, glad to hear you love your TE combo. Also, you assume correctly that your combo is pre-Gibson. Congrats on one of the best (IMO) combos ever built. :D
  7. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    That's why I love my V8 :cool:

Very nice gear, I missed a chance to get a full Trace rig for $800Au a while ago (Cos him $5000 only a couple years back). I said no, as I was thinking of saving for a Mesa Big Block.. Should of taken that deal then :(

Oh well.. Glad you enjoy your gear!
  8. jellybass

jellybass Guest

Nov 8, 2004
    The best part is I got the whole rig for 350 bucks at a local store. Apparently they thought some rips in the Tolex made it worthless. I love stupid music store people.