Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Trace Elliot Pre-amp seperation!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Phil G, Aug 24, 2002.

1. Phil G

Phil G

Aug 24, 2002
    Leicester England
    I've got a Trace GP11 pre-amp in a AH150 head, which is great for practice or miked up gigs, but I need more power!!

Does anyone know if its' possible to run the pre-amp as a seperate entity (disconnect it from the power side) if so is it fed a straight AC current or will it be fed power from the transformer, if so what voltage/amps does it pull.

Ideally I want to run through either a 1k or 2k rig (yeah I know it could get silly but I keep being asked for more power!)

2. zoran

zoran

May 10, 2002
    croatia
    in my ah300w combo i used line out for connecting in separate poweramp, but i dont know if it is possible with ah150 . My advice , try to build new equipment (preamp, poweramp, cab)

3. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    You can use the balanced di out or the unbalanced line out but...neither is really hot enough to drive a standard (in America) power amp to full output.
    This is such a common situation that QSC has a standard option available to increase input sensitivity as do other manufacturers.

Being as you are in England it may be a non issue for you.

5. Phil G

Phil G

Aug 24, 2002
    Leicester England
    Thanks guys,

Using the line out is possible, but I'd prefer to disable the built in amp & run the pre amp on its own.

6. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    If you use the line out, you will be using the preamp on its own. There is no need to hook up speakers to the speaker out on a transister head. there is no need to modify anything.

I do this all the time with my Trace Elliot and G-K heads.

7. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Then, for clarification, if you want to use the power of the first amp as well as that of a second amp (through another rig), you could run line out from the preamp to amp two, hook up speakers to both amps and get the full range of power out of each?

Stupid question, i know, but I just got a new 500w Trace Elliot that I want to use in conjunction with my existing 600w Carvin (should I ever need to).