Trace Elliot preamp and sound

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Transverz, Nov 9, 2004.

1. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hello all you Trace Elliot aware TB'ers out there...

I'm thinking of purchasing a Trace Elliot GP12 SMX pre amp from a friend. I haven't had much experience with Trace Elliot at all. He's asking $200. Is this fair? Also, having not heard much Trace Elliot stuff, what is the typical Trace sound? I want a rockin' sound and have found my Ampeg to be doing pretty well. But of course, you always are looking for better :D

Would welcome any opinions or experiences with this preamp or Trace Elliot in general. Thanks!

2. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer, Builder
    Don't care much for that one, but the V-Type preamp from Trace is awesome!!!

3. genderblind

genderblind Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2004
    That is a good deal on an SMX. I picked one up a few months back for $175 on Ebay, changed the tube for a nice dark-toned Sovtek, and it definitely rocks hard when I want it to.
    Thing is, many people vibe against Trace now without a good reason, considering how much flexibility you have with them.
    I'm running it with a 1980 Stingray right now, and getting tones across the spectrum - dub to all out agressive cutting madness, always fat, warm and full.
    I keep the input valve blend at full, EQ level full, lo comp at 11o'clock, and hi comp at 9o'clock. EQ balance usually sits at 10 or 11o'clock, and my curve peaks +6db at 100 HZ and 1.3 KHZ, with 0db at 340HZ. That's the rock...
  4. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks guys, I'll definitely consider it. I've always been interested in Trace stuff. I mean, how can you not like neon green gear?! hehe...

5. Some really influential bassists during the 80's heydays used all Trace Stuff, Mark King of Level 42 the slap monster, Pino Palladino's fretless tones to die for, Norman Watt-Roy of Ian Dury and the Blockheads...check out his funky Trace Elliot tones. You will find almost any tone in the Trace amps, very versatile...but I have to agree with Brian, I got myself a used V-type preamp recently on ebay and it is sooooooo warm and sweet with an adjustable push/pull mid switch for getting really funky, if you can lay your hands on one of these you will love it.