Trace Elliot preamp for acoustic bass. Have you trieone?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by goran, Aug 13, 2003.

1. goran

Dec 17, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Bartolini
    Recently I started thinking about buying separate pre/power amp to drive my Peavey box with 1 15". (Thanks a lot to all of you TB-ers, I learned a lot on this site). A friend told me that he knows a man who sells his Trace Elliot preamp, but he didn't know anything about it. I thought it was famous GP-12SMX or maybe V-type tube preamp.
    It turned out to be something I have never seen or heard about it before. It is supposed to be preamp for acoustic bass.

Features are (ones that I can remember, as it is not in front of me now):
    -Two channels:
    1st with input for piezo & input for hi-gain (active electronics)
    2nd with input for microphone
    controls for low and high freq. for both channels
    -graphic equalizer: 100Hz, 330Hz, 1kHz, 3kHz and 10kHz
    -notch on/off with level control
    -master (pull-activates preshape)
    -something with harmonics, but I can't remember what)
    -effects send-return, line out (x2 i think)
    -there are a few more switches (?) and inputs (?)

Do you think it would be suitable for electric bass? I have Fender Jazz Deluxe. I know that I'm the only one who can say if it suits me, but did any of you owned/used it. How do you like it? Please post your impessions.

Only reason I think that it might not be for electric bass is eq: 100Hz is the lowest.

I am so interested in it because of it's price - only 170 euros (about 170$). It is used on 3 gigs and price for new one is about 400$.
  2. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    bela fleck seems to get a good tone out of his
  3. 8_finger

8_finger Supporting Member

Jun 1, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    Let your ears decide. Try first, pay later.
    There are other preamps on the market for a bit more cash.
  4. goran

Dec 17, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Bartolini
    I did try it. It sounded good through guy's PA. I'm curious how will it sound on my cabinet. I still haven't bought power amp; for start I would use the preamp with Bassman 100 head (only passive controls). Neptoon and 8_finger, thanks for input.