Trace Elliot Query

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mark Strange, May 30, 2003.

1. Mark Strange

Mark Strange

May 30, 2003

I am new to this forum, posting from Scotland and would really appreciate it if someone on here could help me out here.

I have a Trace Elliot bass amp. I believe it is a model called a "Twin Valve", a combo with a single speaker. I have used it for about 10years but I dont really know anything about it as I bought it 2nd hand.

Can someone tell me any details on this. Eg. Power ratings, how it is regarded in quality terms, is it worth much? How much did it cost?

This would be grat if anyone could tell me as I never see this listed anywhere.

2. Hello Mark... welcome to TalkBass. I have a TwinValve but it is the stand-alone "head" version. This is running trouble-free on the original tubes, and plenty of life in them yet. The older Twin, Quad and HexaValve amps were shipped with 2, 4 or 6 KT-88s so the power rating for your head is around 120 watts (RMS). I can't tell you too much more about the combo, except that these are all great pieces - quite desirable. Hang on to it if it's still doing the job for you.

I should have cleaned this up before I snapped a pic...

3. Mark Strange

Mark Strange

May 30, 2003

Thanks very much for the reply, yeah it's a great amp and i have never had to do a moments maintenance on it.

4. Hi, I have just been offered the stand alone Twin Valve head at a really good price. I am interested to know if it will be loud enough for use within a typical 2 guitars, drums and bass setup. Most of the gigs we do we go through the house PA rigs so the volume I am talking about is more just to keep up with the blasted loud drummer we got!
  5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Not without a cab or two!! ;)
  6. duh! Oh yes I was planning on running it into my Mesa Boogie 1516be. I know that cab is 4ohms so I wonder what kind of wattage I would get out of the Twin Valve.

The Trace Twin Valve is virtually impossible to find info about on line so I would appreciate any knowledge anyone has got about these.
  7. Well, I went and tried out the Trace Elliot Twin Valve head, loved it, bought it.

Last friday I sold my Mesa Boogie 400+ valve (or should I say tube as most of you guys are American!) head. I had a Mesa rig with the 400+ driving my 1516be. The strange thing was that although the amp (Mesa) worked perfectly, I just could'nt get on with it. I have had the rig just under a year and in all that time I just felt very intimidated by it.

I decided to sell the whole rig and look for a smaller and more portable situation. I am a tube fan and love the playability they give so ideally I wanted a valve poweramp and valve pre too. A friend saw an advert for this Trace in a record shop and gave me a call. I thought it sounded too good to be true. Well, I am writing this at 2.48 am (UK time) after coming home from my bands rehearsal, I am exhilarated by the performance of this little trace. I loved it. I could get the grindy tone that I failed to find in my 400+. The whole amp just felt more approachable. I did definitely feel a loss of power as the 400+ is an absolute beast in that department but in a practical real world situation, I found the Trace more suitable for me. I am sure some of you must think I'm crazy (well I am!) but my "new" 150 watt amp is more fun and useful than my old 400 plus watter. No question!

And yes, the Trace sounds great through the 1516!
  8. TwinValve is an absolutely awesome little powerhouse that sounds truly amazing. I love the "lab instrument" design of these early models and talk about a signature Trace Elliot tone...