Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Trace Elliot question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lowmid1, Jul 4, 2004.

1. lowmid1

lowmid1

Aug 16, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    I just picked up a used pre-Gibson Trace head. It is a GP12, SMX and it says 250 watts rms. This thing is so loud it will make your teeth hurt........and it sounds great. Are these amps just rated incorrectly (in other words is the power section more than 250 watts) or is something else going on here?

-Pete

2. Rvl

Rvl

Dec 23, 2003
    Aomori Japan
    Trace are under rated
    Most companies say their amps are 250 but in reality they tend to be alot less

3. wattage isn't the be all and end all of how loud an amp is, I would't guess it's been incorectly labeled.

And yes, trace elliots are definately under rated! :bassist:

4. unlined4string

unlined4string Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Baltimore County, Md.
    In my experience Trace amps are much louder than other amps with similar rated power. Last Sunday I played a loud jazz quartet gig outdoors with no PA in a very noisy location (Baltimore Md. Harborplace ampitheater). I used a 1996 Trace RAH250SMX into one EA CXL-112. The Trace master volume never went above 1, and I was plenty loud. I could feel the concrete pavement vibrating, even though the speaker was on a stand with a Gramma baffle! I couldn't be more pleased with the RAH250SMX.

5. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    I have an old series six ah200 thats a little box of thunder.

I always thought it was because they used linier taper gain pot's instead of audio taper and it just got really loud, really fast then kind of ran out of steam past 12 o'clock....

6. i used to have one of those and when i changed to an ampeg svt200 (ss 350w) i couldn´t say that it sounded any louder.

7. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    What more can I add? They kick...!

8. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    The guys I'm jamming with kept telling me I was too loud. So, I kept turning it down. Now I jam at the band's "full" volume and I'm just under 1 on the output knob! I love my Trace rig!

9. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    One side of my AH-500z(250 watts) pushes the Acme Low B2 with no problems. That's suppose to need 500 watts, at least.

10. well...i have a commando 15 for practise.....100watts and it is very punchy...played it with a band for an audition and kep up NO probs.

Didn't take my rig as i was tired and had a cold....so no energy.

I do use it with my other heavy rock band (think Kyuss, QOTSA etc) and it gets pumped to about 5 and keeps up with the guitarist's 150 watt 4x12 mashall

FYI it is an AH600SMX the a lab systems 2x12 on the top and a home made, SWR based 1x18 sub. Both drive with full range (not bi amped).....2x12 is rated 600 watts and 1x18 is 400 watts.
    Have NO problems keeping up with them!

Play it loud and wear it proud!
    :hyper:

11. lowmid1

lowmid1

Aug 16, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    I may have answered my own question. I have been playing around with the Trace amp, side by side with my Ampeg 4 pro and my Eden Navigator/Crest CA-9 rig and the same Avatar and SWR cabinets trying to compare the "voicing" of the amps and while the Trace seems to have a bit more power it also seems to have a "bump" at around 100 hz with the eq set flat. This particular frequency seems to really jump out and "stab" my ears (for lack of a better description) and makes this amp seem almost unbearably loud. I can dial that same frequency in on the other amps and produce a similiar result. It doesn't seem obvious at first because it seems like that freq. is boosted with the Trace eq. set flat.

Even so, the Trace amp at 250 watts RMS is louder than the Ampeg at 300 watts RMS. I'm really pleased with this Trace amp. Running one or two Avatar SB112's it is a kick ass little rig and it's light and fits in the trunk of my Saturn.