Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Trace Elliot Question!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Shandon, May 10, 2003.

1. I've got a 7215 Trace Elliot and I hear that the pre-Gibson Trace's are much better. I don't know exactly when Trace sold to Gibson, but just b/c it's under Gibson now, does that still mean it's worth the money, I got it for $700 new. I was curious to hear my fellow bassists comments who have played both a pre-Gibson and Gibson Trace amp. What the differences are.

2. A Gibson takeover is the "kiss of death". Look at the current state of Steinberger or Tobias for examples of this... they generally squeeze the life out of a great brand name. Support and service? Don't get me started... I had to clean mayonnaise from the innards of my new, pristine V8 when it came back from Gibson's warranty service unrepaired. Their warranty support is totally useless.

Now, on to your Trace question. For the most part it will be the same parts and components originally used, so there's really no cause for concern. There's very little difference between pre and post Gibson amp. A year or two down the road it might be hard to find support, so you're probably wise to order a schematic now if you are intent on keeping the amp.

3. That stinks to hear about your V8 like that, but thanx a lot man.

4. I was disappointed with Gibson "warranty service". There is a local amp designer here who really knows his stuff and handled the repair for me. The V8 is an awesome amp and I intend to keep it.

My personal advice is to find the best local service tech who you trust. In the event that you need a repair, as long as you have a schematic you should be fine. Enjoy!

5. Bass-only

Bass-only Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2001
    Cleveland
    Regarding production of Trace Elliot amps, I don't believe they've been made anywhere except at the Trace facility in England. Gibson just owned the company since (I believe) 1998. I have several pre-Gibson heads and combos and theyve worked great!

6. Sorry to inform you, but according to the ex-Service Manager for Trace Elliot in England, the facility was closed over a year ago and inventory and production moved to Gnashville in the U.S. Many of the skilled U.K. folks found work at Ashdown. It's such a shame...

7. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

If it's a Gibson Trace Elliot, get rid of it and get rid of it soon!

Then get anything else. Take it from me. I had a 7210 combo. The best thing I did was sell it to someone that wanted a TE. I had many problems with it over the short period I had it.

8. Bass-only

Bass-only Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2001
    Cleveland
    While production may have moved a year ago, I don't believe they've made any bass amps at the US facility. According to the Gibson rep I spoke with, they are only planning on continuing the "acoustic" amp line here.

That's why I think I am correct that Trace bass amps have only been built in the UK. I had a post-Gibson RAH600SMX head for a while and had no problems with it. I only sold it to try something new. I wish I never sold it!

I don't know what kind of "cost cutting" measures were instituted in 1998, but that RAH600SMX sounded as good (and powerful) as the older Trace heads I've had.

Regarding amps requiring constant service, there's always going to be "reliable" and "problem" amps, no matter who the manufacturer.

9. One way to tell for sure is the union jack sticker that says "Made in Britain" that appeared on all units that were made in Britain for the final two years after the takeover ('99-'00). After that there was no facility in Britain. No sticker means assembled in the U.S. from parts using the usual Gibson care and attention to detail. :rolleyes:

Amps of the RAH-600SMX (circa 1998) era were indeed produced in Britain... I still have one of these and love it, but not as much as the V8.

Gibson warranty service couldn't repair a simple cold solder joint on the V8s fuse holder despite two attempts and long waiting times. Since I've had that fixed locally the amp has been problem-free.

10. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Oddio......good news about my Hexa!!!!!
    It's alive!!!!!! and working 100%

11. Hey BassGreaser, that's truly great news. I'm so glad that it's fixed... that's one beautiful amp! I was worried about your plight and it has been a little whaile since I've seen you posting. Did you manage to get a copy of the schematic?

12. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    no i didn't it just had some loose wires, and needed a good bais

13. zoran

zoran

May 10, 2002
    croatia
    I've played trace 4x10"+300ah combo for years and never had any problems, even with fuse. Think that Trace will always sound like trace no mather who is owner

14. Agreed. Using the same parts, values and great design it would take some deliberate work to change them. Most Trace amps simply sound great.

15. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

Can't say I noticed!

I had a Series 5 head -AH250 and a vinyl covered 4 x 10 pre-gibson that was great.

I traded it in for a post-Gibson AH500 plus the newer 4 x 10 with Horn and 1 x 15. Still seem to be pretty much good old Trace Elliot to me!

Only disappointment is the lack of UV light - now that was cool!