1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Trace Elliot Quit

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by prideofgumbo, Jul 24, 2007.

1. prideofgumbo

prideofgumbo

Jul 24, 2007
    I bought a used TE GP12 SMX Premap a couple of weeks ago. I haven't even had the thing on more that a couple of hours since I got it and today i was just getting going, had it on for less than 5 minutes and it shut off. Now it does nothing, it's like it's not even plugged in. Checked the fuse in the back and it seems good. Are there anymore fuses inside? Any common problems like this? Super annoying.

2. Depending on how old it is and how you got it (shipped via ebay vs. picked up in a local store) you might have a loose connection or 2 between the circuit boards.
    I bought a TE GP7SM w/ the 150 watt amp module in it on ebay & it did something similiar. Worked great out of the box, then flaked intermitently. i re-seated all the connectors between the boards 7 now it works fine. Best $140 I ever spent.

3. deaf pea

deaf pea

Mar 24, 2005
    Cuernavaca 1 hr S Mexico City
    Seymour Duncan/Basslines SMB-5A Endorsing Artist
    If it's anything like the SMX250 that I've got, YES, there are 2 small PC-mount fuses inside. They're inline with the +15/-15 feeds from the tranny . . .

4. prideofgumbo

prideofgumbo

Jul 24, 2007
    Ah...I found those fuses and one of them is bad. This is not helping the confidence level for this piece of gear. Wonder if it's just a coincidence or if something else is causing the blow.

5. deaf pea

deaf pea

Mar 24, 2005
    Cuernavaca 1 hr S Mexico City
    Seymour Duncan/Basslines SMB-5A Endorsing Artist
    Buy a few of them and replace the bad one . . . if the new one blows right away, you've probably got a problem that should be checked by a "qualified technician".

British Audio Service (near Chicago) should be able to help . . .