Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Trace Elliot RA600SX power amp - bridged mode?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mwpmorris, Mar 1, 2006.

1. mwpmorris

mwpmorris

Feb 5, 2006
    I'm thinking of buying a second hand Trace RA600SX power amp, but I can't find any info at all on it. Can anyone tell me:

1. If it'll do bridged mono mode
    2. What power it'll deliver into an 8 ohm cab whilst in bridged mono mode.

It seems to look pretty similar to the RA500, so if anyone knows about the figures for this amp, then I'm sure I can apply them to the RA600.

Thanks!

2. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
  3. mwpmorris

mwpmorris

Feb 5, 2006
    Thanks for the link! That manual is for the AH600 though, and it says that the amp will do mono bi-amp, but not mono bridged.

On the same site I have found some info for the RA500, and it seems there's no mention of bridged mono, only mono bi-amp. So I'm not convinced that I can get enough power out of the amp.

The cab I want to drive is an Ashdown ABM 410, 8ohm 600W. I assumed that to drive it efficiently I would have to get hold of an amp that would do as near to 600W @ 8ohm as possible. What do you think? Am I looking for too much power?

4. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    You won't have to worry about underpowering that Ashdown with a Trace Elliot power amp. Haven't you heard? There are watts and then there are Trace Elliot watts! :p

Actually, as many will agree, Trace tended to rate their amps/poweramps on the very conservative side unlike most manufacturers. If it was any other amp I would be concerned about getting as much power as possible for your ABM 410.

It is up to you in the end. If you want to be safe, pick up a QSC RMX850. Good luck and if you decide to get the Trace, let me know how it works out for you.

5. mwpmorris

mwpmorris

Feb 5, 2006
    Ok, I'll definately bear all that in mind.

Thanks a lot for your help!