1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Trace Elliot Rig

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by MooseJuice, Nov 29, 2010.

1. MooseJuice

MooseJuice

Nov 29, 2010
    I'm considering buying a Trace Elliot rig that consists of 300 watts, 2x10 combo plus 15 inch extension cab. He is offering me this for $475. Is this a good deal? I'm looking to play small gigs and small outdoor venues. Would this be enough bump? I'm playing reggae music so a clean tone would be necessary.

2. With the extension cab this should be enough. But this should really go in the amp forum.

3. Jools4001

Jools4001 Supporting Member

I had a similar rig for a few years AH350SMX 2x10 combo and a 1x15. Filled some pretty big venues without much PA support and a few outdoor festivals with a DI to the PA as well. The amp did OK until it suddenly died on a gig, lost power completely, no life at all, not even the LED's or panel lights. Tried all the obvious stuff like power cables, external and internal fuses but never did find out what the cause was. I still have it, and I'll get around to fixing it one day.

4. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Yup.

You'll get a lot more response by people who are familair with the gear if you post it in the right section.

5. MooseJuice

MooseJuice

Nov 29, 2010
    Okay. I'm sorry. I'm new here.

6. Sounds like the amp I have used for the last decade or so! Is it a 710 SMC? Mine is a 2x10 combo with the SM7 preamp/eq.

Mines an early one, before trace elliot was bought out by anyone, and its pretty cool. Its NEVER blown my socks off but always avoided replacement until I got something a LOT nicer, a mesa 400+ ie not in the same price bracket.

Its pure and clean sounding, very 80's. Can be coaxed to have a good thumping low end but it won't give a rock 'growl'. Overdrive the pre and it just sounds farty. Generally though its a very capable amp, definately a 'proper' amp, ie it has power, a good fundamental and a lot of shaping potential. No aggresive character to speak of.

Its held its own at almost all venues, the only time I can remember it struggling is at a hip hop gig where there was no pa. I wouldn't reley on it to fill a big venue but for most big venues there is always a big house PA to cover that. With an extra cab a bigger venue with no pa should be ok.

Overall a good amp, I paid £500 for mine so for the price quoted I'd say go for it for sure!

but yeah, its an amp, so post it in the amp forum :)