Trace Elliot shutting down?!?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by hstiles, Mar 13, 2002.

1. One of the UK guitar mags ran a story in a recent issue stating that Gibson was about to shut down Trace Elliot.

I'm not a Trace user, but I used to be and I'm surprised by this. Are they not doing very well or something?
  2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I think it was a bad marriage to begin with.
    TE is a bass amp manufacturer based in Europe with its biggest market based in the EU.
    Gibson makes guitars almost exclusively, has no real amp production and is US-based with primarily American customers.

The most ironic thing would be if the Ashdown guys (Ex-TE-employees) buy out TE from Gibson.
  3. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    ain't that the truth.
  4. air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    actually a friend of mine from the states once told me that 65% of Gibson's yearly production goes to export.

why would the Ashdown people want to buy a lesser company like Trace?
  5. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I doubt they would. But, there are good reasons for a company like Ashdown to buy Trace Elliot.

For one thing, Trace didn't use to be a lesser name. In fact, for a while, it seemed Trace was a standard in the industry. Brands do turn around, and there's no reason Trace Elliot couldn't get its powerful name back to par. You can draw a parallel, of sorts, to cars. Look at Toyota. Anyone remember what happend to Toyotas in the 1970's and early 1980's? They were affectionately known as "rust buckets". Now, they are among the most in-demand cars on the road, and have among the highest customer satisfaction rating as well as among the lowest incidence of repairs.

Ashdown seems to know how to build amps, which they do very well. They also seem to know how to run a business. It'd be easy for them, if they wanted to, to turn Trace Elliot around.

But, while they could easily do it, I don't think it'll happen, though.
  6. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I don't really think Ashdown will buy TE, I just thought it would be ironic if they did, since Ashdown was founded by Ex-Trace-Elliot employees and seems to be doing so much better than TE.

Gibson may sell more abroad, but design and marketing philosophy primarily cater to the American market. It's an "American" guitar.
    People who buy a Gibson (in Europe) would probably buy a Harley-Davidson too, and not a BMW.
    TE was more "European/British" in that respect.
    That's what I meant.
  7. I think it was Gibson the totally screwed up Slingerland Drums too. They used to be one of the best drum companys on the planet. They are still around and making a good product, but you never hear about them. They just aren't that interested in anythink that is not named Les Paul.
  8. air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    what does Gibson have about buying companies and screwing them up?

Tobias, Slingerland, Steinberger and Trace where all companies that didnt threaten Gibson.
    but instead of establishing themselves in other areas through these companies Gibson just let them die out slowly.
    can't see the logic behind Gibson's actions.

unless Trace revamps their line of products and manages to escape the claws of Gibson's ownership, we are more than likely to witness their demise.
  9. Seems I read somewhere that Gibson was shutting down the UK based Trace manufacturing plant and relocating it state-side in an effort to turn their QC problems around...

FWIW... one of the finest sounding amps ever made was the Trace Elliot V-Type V4 (all valve)... also the V6 and the V8 to some degree. While I'm not a HUGE fan of their SS stuff their hybrid equipment IS pretty darned good... I'd give my left you-know-what to get my hands on a mint V4.
  10. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Probably... right after they open up the new Tobias facilities:rolleyes:
  11. oddentity

oddentity Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Gibson also ruined Oberheim, once an innovative and respected synth maker. Now they turn out junk like the OB-12... :rolleyes:
  12. Ha! Good!

I wanted to bring a few of my valve designs to market. Less competition! :p
  13. I wonder...could it be...MONOPOLY?! :eek: :eek:

Well, okay, maybe not...but if Bill Gates could almost get away with it, I'm sure Gibson could try too... :p
  14. phil_chew

Mar 22, 2000
    Gibson sure knows how to ruin things. They should just stick to guitars.

Outside of the US, Trace Elliot is an established brand. Not just in UK/Europe but in Asia Pacific too. Their higher-end amps are great (IMO). Many of the dealers I spoke to in Asia are sad to see TE go, and all expressed hopes that someone who knows about amps will take over the business from Gibson.
  15. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Gibson shouldnt even do guitars anymore... $3500 for a stupid '59 reissue Les Paul??? that's just ridiculous, and to think guys actually buy the hype.