Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Trace Elliot SM7 Eq Pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by HemiBob, Mar 9, 2014.

1. Hi to all !

I have an opportunity to acquire a Trace Eq Pedal at a good price, it has the famous pre shape tones and an EQ as you all know. I would like to know if that pedal could be used as a preamp ?

Could i use it in front of a power amp like a traditional preamp ? Read somewhere that you need a certain signal level in order to feed a power amp... Thanks for any inputs !

2. It's pretty hot but probably not enough for line level. It's been some time since I got mine but iirc I put it through my mixer to get it pumping. Quite freaky hearing Trace from a bog standard power amp.

3. Thanks Downunder for the reply, you say freaky, was it bad ? Thing is, i have a Trace Series 6 head (150 watts) but am looking for more volume, should i just use the preamp from the head and send it to a power amp ?

4. bopit01

bopit01

Mar 5, 2014
    Hi there,
    For what it's worth - here's my 2 cents.
    I have been using a Trace Series 6 AH130 for about 20 years and running a Boss GE-10 graphic in front of it (so yeah kind of like a pre-amp) It's served me very very well.
    I am now trying to simplify, because I just purchased a Trace AH500 and it's a killer!
    Would love to try a TE EQ pedal tho just to see how good they are.

5. Freaky good.

You could use the effect send or line out for sure.

Come to think of it, I have used the GP7 into the effect return of my trace head so it must have a bit of poke. I'll have another look tomorrow.