Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Trace Elliot SMX dual compressor OR Boss CS-2 ???

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Mara, Dec 11, 2003.

1. Mara

Mara

Jan 11, 2001
    Finland
    Lets' say these are the only compressors around and you would have to pick one of these - wich one it would be? Why?

Thanx!

Mara

2. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    The Trace Elliot because the dual band compression is much more transparent on bass than single band compression, which often takes the life out of the sound.

Alex

3. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Yep, SMX. I have the CS-2 and it's great on guitars but rips the bottom off of basses.

4. Mara

Mara

Jan 11, 2001
    Finland
    Thanks guys! I went and ordered the Trace Elliott since it was the same price as the CS-2, second hand. While I'm waiting for it to arrive, could you tell me wether I should position it before or after the SABDDI? Currently I use: bass -> SABDDI -> poweramp -> cabinet. I've never used a compressor in my life...

Mara

5. just curious....
    Trace elliot still makes the SMX dual compressor?
    When i bought mine (I agree it is the best choice of the two) I contacted TE first and they said they stopped production (back a few years).

It is a good pedal, and doesn't suck th elife nor tone out of your bass. I wonder why othe rcompanies have adopted the same concept
    frank

6. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Yes all of the TE pedals are discontinued.

7. Mara

Mara

Jan 11, 2001
    Finland
    Well I went and got the SMX (secondhand for ca. 80 USD) - thanks to you guys and some reviews I read. It does just what it's suppose to do: allows me to sound smoother at high volumes. I only use its low compression. It does add a bit of hiss but that I corrected by decreasing the presence on my SABDDI just a bit. It almost feels and sounds like a preamp and I feel that the 18V powersupply ( it came with the 18V mains adaptor) really brings some headroom to the system. So far I'm pleased with this green box although I haven't used it with a band yet.

8. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Ah, but that's where it's best, punching through the mix like you won't believe!

Alex