Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

TRACE ELLIOT SPEAKERS

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by gareth, Aug 23, 2005.

1. gareth

gareth

Jun 9, 2002
    UK
    I've been using a V6 with a 1048h and 1518t.

Recently I got another 1518t as I wanted to try the V6 with two 1518t's.

It sounded good in that it gave me the extra bass I was looking for but at the expense of losing some of the higher frequency response.

SO, now I want to use all three cabinets at once.

Is this possible? Anyone done it?

The other possibility is to get another 1048h and run the four cabinets together?

2. N*Joy

N*Joy

Nov 30, 2002
    Birmingham, UK
    Where are you playing? Wembley Stadium (construction site)?! :eek:

I take it all cabs are 8 ohms? This will give a 2.66 ohms load I believe which should be doable as long as you have the output set to 2 ohms on the V6. However I remember one guy having a problem with his V6 with mixed ohmage cabs, not sure if he was daisy chaining or using two outputs - shouldn't affect this set up though.

3. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    If you want really awesome high frequency response then what you need is the Trace Elliot 4052H Bright Box cab, four 5" drivers for the high stuff. Add that to the cabs you already have and nothing should compare to your rig.
    [​IMG]

But yes all your cabs should work together in theory at least.

4. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    +1 I really dig my Bright Box.

5. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    You suck Tom! :spit: ............................. :p j/k :D

Because it is a tube head and not solidstate, you would run all three cabs on the 4 ohm setting on the head. It should be safe but error on the cautious side.

6. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    Back before they used tweeters (mark IV series, mid '80's) the 1518 had a higher frequency response than the 1048. It actually went higher and lower than the 1048 but without the mids and punch of the 1048.

To me this implies the highs you're getting now from your 1048h and not the 1518 may be coming from the tweeter and not the speakers. So one option might be to find a crossover and tweeter and pop it in one of the 15's. Can you turn the tweeter off on the 1048h and see if that's where the treble is coming from?

7. Hi guys. I use a Trace V8 amp with two Peavey 410TVX cabinets and I was just dreaming about Trace cabinets...

I'd like to know if there's any good resource on the web about Trace cabinets? You know, different models and such...

Did they make a 8x10 cab? ...

8. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Yup!

9. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    If you do a search, I do recall seeing shots of a TE 8x10 somewhere here on TB.

Tom.

10. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Someone sold a pair of them on eBay UK a few weeks ago, Trace cabs are heavy though, I imagine a Trace 8x10 would be an absolute swine to move, the BFC which was a 4x10 plus a 1x15 was 87kg!

11. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    For sure. To be honest, I'd be far more interested in a nice, portable NV-610. :D

12. Sorry to dig up this old thread, but i am interested in what Moo said about the 1518 having a higher frequency response than the 1048. I have an older 1518T (300watt model) and i was wondering if this one has the high frequency response. Here comes the sad bit, i've had the cab for a year now and still haven't been able to afford an amp! (stupid University) and I've been wondering if it will work as a standalone cab, I doubt it will sound great for slapping, but for hard rock/metal would i get by?

With the tone control all the way open my bass gets very bright, hopefully even more with Steel strings, last question, would buying a crossover and tweeter be a good idea maybe?

13. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    Hi panstdude, my old Trace 1518 was a mark 4 without a tweeter from about 1986. The frequency specs (higher and lower than the 4x10)were given to me by Chris Maury who was on the original US Trace team. I think mine was 200 or 250 watts and while it was a decent cab it was rather flat sounding. That's a plus for most people today but to me it just meant lifeless and dull. It was very hard to hear when you're near it but when used with an Eden D210T I found it made everything bigger & fatter, just didn't like it too much alone.

I personally wouldn't add a tweeter, it had enough highs to sound great with a country picked Telecaster. My friend used to always play guitar through it when he came over so it's not short on highs.

I only used it with a Trace AH250 but with the pre-shape engaged it did a decent slap tone. Nothing wrong with the cab, nothing special either IMO.