Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Trace Elliot Strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by BassMann2112, Jun 30, 2002.

1. BassMann2112

BassMann2112

Jun 21, 2002
    Now I know that Trace Elliot is... well, no more the company they were a few years ago. I think they sold out to Gibson. The Trace Elliot tapered SS (Stainless Steel) Strings were a great long lasting slapin and poppin set of strings. I actually bought out the last 4 packs from pro AM here in Chicago, since they were not making anymore Trace Elliot equipment. Now I think Gibson is using their name for amplification? Let me tell ya, they are really beating around the bush with a replacement for those strings. Or maybe they plan on keeping the old Gibson Strings for now. They told me that they were going to come up with a replacement for those strings. They still have not informed me about any makings of a new string for bass. Well I have just used up my last set of Trace Elliots and now I'm on the search for the perfect string. But I will have to totally resetup my bass totally. Arrrg!!!
    Oh well.
    Anyone use the Trace Strings?
    What's comperable to them, I used extra light tapered SS Strings.
    I know the Prisim's are real punchy and I like the longivity of the Blue Steel SS String. But not what I want as my main string.
    Cheers to all

2. bassman, I too have used Trace strings, I have a Trace amp ( Brit made) and will miss the quality of their products. But.....I have since changed to Rotosound Swing ML strings and wonder why I hadn't used them before

3. Jontom

Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    I used to use the stainless Trace strings fairly exclusively. They are good for pick-driven rock. In terms of tension and tone, the DR strings are pretty close.

4. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Yes, all the Trace products will be sorely missed. I actually started out using Rotosound Swing Bass rounds, then switched to Trace Elliot and used them exclusively for a few years! Then supplies of the TE strings were hard to get, I went back to Rotosound. I found the 2 brands to be very comparable. Although, the Rotos don't taper, and were generally more expensive!

On the lighter side of the news, if you don't fancy what Gibson put out in the future as Trace Elliot, most of the original sound and reliabilty can be found in Ashdown amps. Their CEO was a Trace Elliot designer (I am led to believe) and having recently bought an Ashdown combo (a more protable option than my Trace rig), I was surprised at how Trace like it sounded!

5. Yes, I loved the Trace strings too, tho' my tastes ran to the NPS end of things. I found that Fender 8255 strings work well also, but now those seem to be no longer made as well, so I am feelin' the pain twice. Present experimentation is with Ernie Ball Regular Slinkys.

6. BassMann2112

BassMann2112

Jun 21, 2002
    Ashdown huh? do they have a large line selection of amps? Can they be seen on the internet?
    Will check em out. Thanks

7. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I also used to use TE's only, until the supply went skimpy. Afterwards I switched to Elites Stadium Series, they too, went skimpy, supplywise. Now it's DR's Hi Deams.