Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Trace Elliot T-Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by wotnwhy, Jun 12, 2003.

1. hello, there's a T-Bass up on e-bay at the moment that i'm quite interested in, but i can't find ANY info about it on the web. i've managed to find a couple of reviews, but they've all been for a higher up model.

the one i'm looking at has a standard bridge, rather than the mono-rail style ones of the higher up models.

i just want to read some general info on them, the different models availeble, specs and just generel info on the bass before i go ahead and bid on it. (there isn't even any info on the trace site!)

any help greatly appreciated

Tom

2. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Is that the natural finished 5 string one....well, I saw a 5 string natural finish one recently on there!

Not sure I can give you much info on it, but they were made for Trace Elliot by Statues if memory serves - that may help you track down more info on them!

Good Luck!

3. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Being from UK, your best bet is to contact Rob Green at Status for additional info. Status made basses under the "T Bass" name for a while. I've played a couple and was pretty impressed. Rob Green is an excellent luthier.

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
  5. Johnny BoomBoom

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

Seeing as you can spell their website......:oops: .....I have deleted my incorrect post!:)

6. As far as I can remember the natural finish models were the cheapest. Then coloured versions with the mono-rail bridge then the limited editions.
    I have two 4 string T-basses with mono-rail bridges and they're excellent. You really can't go far wrong with the Status pups and (9V)electronics, they have an active/passive switch, two volumes, bass and treble. The necks are nice and slim and balance is good. Build quality is excellent. All in all a most excellent Super-J.
    :bassist:

7. Johnny BoomBoom

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

I always fancied one of them. Never had the money whe I actually had a hankering for one. Then I got into Spectors....now I really don't have room in my collection........unless something goes....

8. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I have a black T-Bass 5, it's a great bass.

I'm selling it to fund an upwards acquisition, but it's a reluctant sale. It's the best 'modern vintage' J I've heard, outside of spending Sadowsky type money. Great neck.

You can find some of the specs in my for sale thread, or here's a review on bunnybass.

bunnybass review

9. Johnny BoomBoom

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

Hmm, checked out your 'for sale' thread! Lovely looking bass, and in superb condition. I would sorely love to go for it, however, I really don't have the disposable cash or the room for it! Good luck selling it!

10. thanks for all your replies.

i've already tried the status site and couldn't find any mantion of the T-Bass on there.

i've also already seen the bunny bass review, thats the model up from the one on ebay, as far as i can tell the only differences are the finish and the different bridges. are there any other differences that you know of?

and johnny, yes, it is the natural finish 5.

Tom

11. Johnny BoomBoom

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

might be worth emailing them through their 'contact us' link! They might have some more info available....worst they can say is 'no'

12. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    Status' Retro-Active J bass is essentially the same bass with a graphite neck - same pickups, circuit, etc.

They are very nice basses, even the cheaper ones. They all had the same electronics, construction and "bent" headstock, just a slightly different level of fit and finish.

Russ :bassist:

13. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I think Blackbird has one, maybe you could PM him.

14. Mine is a 1996 limited edition 4-string in seafoam green.

They are astoundingly well-built, with super-stable necks and a BIG tone.

I don't think they sound very J-like, but that's not necessarily good or bad, just different. The tone on mine is a lot thicker than the tone on a passive Fender.

15. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    True, on active it's very much "on steroids". In passive mode, I can get much more J like tones.