Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Trace Elliot Twin Valve

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by teotmb, Sep 18, 2004.

1. teotmb

teotmb

Aug 15, 2004
    Vienna, Austria
    Hi everybody, just got a Twin Valve recently which sound great for me.

The only weak point of this amp is that there´s a lot of hum. When the amp is in standby the hum is audible only from the transfomer. Turning the power amp section on makes the hum audible through the speakers as well (the intensity/volume of the hum won´t change regardless of the power amp volume).

Any ideas what´s the reason for the hum on the speakers and how to fix it? I guess it´s induced through the filament but I´m not too familiar with tube amps.

Does anyone know where to get a schematic for this amp?

thanks,

Markus

2. Congrats on your new TwinValve. I also have one that I found in pristine condition with lots of life left in the original tubes. I really, really love it.

Our good friend Meekster (bless him) posted this link:
    http://britishaudioservice.com/trace_manuals_bass.shtml

The schematic for the TwinValve is there as "Twin.pdf".

3. teotmb

teotmb

Aug 15, 2004
    Vienna, Austria
    Thanks a lot.

4. marc40a

marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    Oddio,

Do you experience any hum with your twin?

What's the approximate weight of the head?

What kind of cabs do you pair it with? I was think that maybe a Bag End 12 would be a good match for low volume situations.

5. There is no hum on my Twin, either mechanical or electronic. I do get a little bit of hiss when the EQ is switched in but that's to be expected.

I use the Twin with two homemade 2x10 cabinets. They're loosely modeled on the Fender Pro combo cabs but tuned properly for the Eminence drivers I selected. I don't know the Bag Ends but they get great reviews here. A reasonably efficient 12" would be an excellent match for the Twin.

6. wildcard83

wildcard83

Feb 14, 2005
    Hello!

I'm from Holland, and just bought a twin valve combo as well... it has two 10 inch speakers and two 5 inch tweeters, and a 12band equalizer = T.E. 1225V twin valve

I was wondering if any of you knew anything about this amp. For example, the wattage of this amp.... I think it should be 200 watts, but I don't know if that's stand alone or combined with another 8 ohm cabinet.

I too have to admit, it's sounds great! I was actually planning on buying the 4 x 10 nemesis combo but when i heard the sound of this thing i couldn't resist.... It weighs a ton though....

Thanks!

7. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    The Twin Valve head is an all tube 115 watt unit. I just bought the 220 watt Quatra and it is an all tube head as well. Here is a pic of the Twin from Clive Button's site:
    [​IMG]

8. wildcard83

wildcard83

Feb 14, 2005
    Thanks very much for your help guys!

At the moment I'm bidding on a trace cabinet, the 1818x.
    it has one 18 inch speaker and one 10 inch, and should fit perfectly with my combo..... I wanted a bigger speaker for the low B on my bass, I hope the 18 inch isn't overkill.... should I go for a 15 instead? My mid's and high's are perfectly represented through the combo, I just think the low B and E are a bit misformed when played at very loud volume....

9. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    :D

10. wildcard83

wildcard83

Feb 14, 2005
    the 1818x is an 8 ohm cabinet, so that would make the total impedance 4 ohms, so I'd get the full 200 watt out of the amp. And I liked the 1153 too, but I can't get it second hand anywhere, and a shop still has it new, but that one costs about 650 dollars (500 euro) That's a bit pricy for me right now, since I'm a student.

11. piellekes

piellekes

Jan 29, 2008
    it has been over 3 years now on this thread I see ;)
    Markus, did you fix the hum on your twin valve? I have one over here and it also hums, both directly from the transformer(s) and when turned on from standby also from the speaker.

I was hoping someone could give me a hint how to reduce this. (new transformers?)

Emiel

12. teotmb

teotmb

Aug 15, 2004
    Vienna, Austria
    Sorry can´t provide any help, couldn´t fix mine, sold it as defective.