Trace Elliot - Urgent help needed!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Paul A, May 22, 2003.

1. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    I'm trying to fix a Trace Elliot 250 watt combo (gp12 smx).
    There seems to be no power going to the pre amp.
    It did a similar thing a couple of weeks back and replacing the tube did the trick.
    Not this time though!
    I've tried about 10 tubes (all of which I know are good).
    There is a 10 watt aluminium bodied resistor (470 ohm) mounted on the power amp heatsink which I have noticed is getting pretty hot.
    Anyone know how hot these should run normally (warm,hot,very hot?) - this is so hot that you could'nt touch it.
    Anyone got a schematic?
    All help gratefully recieved!
  2. NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    I have had good service from robert at
    847-741-7315 ext208. Try him, if he cant help I am sure he could hook you up with the right person.

3. It sounds like you've one or more shorted output transistors with who knows what other damage. A 10 watt resistor shouldn't be getting that hot and indicates something is drawing a LOT more current than it ought to. I'll bet if you check the mains fuse, you'll find it's been replaced with a higher value than is called for.
  4. mkaythen

May 25, 2003
    Hi there. I have an ah600smx which had a similar prob. It ended up being a little micro-fuse that trace use instead of a normal 3ag slow-blow fuse. Basically it's nothing major to worry about, it's just a real pain to find (trace's are notoriously fiddly) and just cuts power to the pre-amp. If your amp has a standby switch, you may hear the familiar 'click' when you switch on the main instead of when you go from standby to 'on'. Basically, unless you know what it is you're looking for you probably won't find the micro-fuse, so I recommend taking it to a tech. you can trust(someone who regularly fixes pro. amplifiers, not a tv tech.) Get him or her to replace the fuse setup with a standard 3ag or similar while they're at it.
  5. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    You sir are a genius,
    Found the fuses! Both Blown!
    I've replaced them with micro re-settable circuit breakers and the amp's now running like a train!
    Thanks to everyone for their help/suggestions!
  6. mkaythen

May 25, 2003
    Glad to help. The world needs as much bass as we are able to give.