Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Trace Elliot V-type: Anybody got one?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Infernal Affair, Dec 16, 2003.

1. I'm starting this thread based off of the basstasters.com thread where a few others and I noticed how great the Trace Elliot V-type preamp sounded.

So my questions are....

1) Does anybody one one? If so, what kind of sounds can you dial in? Or do you just leave it flat?

2) Have you had any build problems with it, or is it built like a rock?

3) Where did you get it and for how much?

4) How does it sound compared to the AH-500? There's a bass player whose sound I really like that uses an AH-500. I know that the AH-500 uses a GP12x pre, so essentially I'm asking how similar in sound the two preamps are.

I'm most concerned with #3 because I've looked all over the place but have yet to find one. It's sad that these are discontinued (or so I've heard).

Damn that Basstasters for wetting my whistle. ;)

2. I am affraid I will dissapoint you, AH500 and V-type are totally different animals. I played V-type head and AH250. V-type sounded very bassmanish, like bassman 135 I used to have, warm, vintage, fat, it is often compared to Alembic F1 (both based on fender Showman circuitry?) but I have not played one yet, so cannot compare.
    On the other hand, AH500 (AH250 in my case) was modern sounding, with agressive mids, plenty of growl, very well defined tone. To be honest, neither was my cup-o-tee. If I would have to choose, I prefered V-type, but it was kinda too much wooly for me, so I went with Warwick Quadruplet.
    Anyway, the tone is in your hands and there might also be some contribution of cabs used (2x12).
    If you like AH500 tone, try to get GP12 preamp, here in Europe they can be found cheap. Hope it helps
    Good luck

3. ogar: Thanks very much. That was very helpful. I'll look into the GP12 pre (ironically I own a Bassman combo amp). Unfortunately here in the States I'm having a hard time finding anything (I'm guessing it has to do with Gibson buying them out).

Anyway I already have a perfectly good Sansamp RBI. I'd just like to get a chance to try out the Trace preamps.

4. Sorta bumping this:

I may be going to England next year to visit some family, and maybe check out the shops in the meantime. What's the running price in Euros for the GP12? I want to know how cheap is cheap.

And you Trace players, what do you like about your trace heads/preamps?

5. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Euros?!! We don't have no stinkin' Euros here - all Pounds Sterling.

Alex

6. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Well, I had 2 Trace heads over the years and 3 cabs.

Loved them! Never had any of the valve jobs....I had a MkV AH250 head with the UV light at the front, and a new AH500 - the one they were producing just before the manyfacturing ended!

Both heads were brilliant...but yes, I sold tham both. The first one was easy to justify - to get the second one. But I sold the whole rig and bought Ashdown! Two main reasons here - one is that I was having back trouble, and the Ashdown rig is way samller and much more portable!

Secondly, the Ashdown stuff sounded every bit as good as the Trace.....but better! It was warmer, fatter, but still real nice! I see Ashdown as a sort of evloution from Trace - Mark Gooday used to work for Trace and now heads up Ashdown!

As to prices....ebay bring up te odd TRace Elliot item, also these guys:-

www.gmaudio.co.uk

They service Trace stuff and sometimes have units in for sale (nothing at the moment though).

7. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    I Love the Tace V-type preamp and I would say it very much in line with the Alembic F2b and the SWR Grande Prix, Kern, etc. I think its a wonderful and fat sounding pre and for the money..... You can pick them up for around the 300-350 range used.

I've had 3 come through the shop in the past year or year and a half.

Side note, I'm not a fan of the other trace preamps and head units!!!

8. Tapp

Tapp

Aug 29, 2001
    USA, Mississippi
    I'm currently using a Trace GP12XV pre. It's the early silver unit with a single tube for the front end. Same pre that came on the Quatra, hexa, etc valve heads.

I like it so far, the graphic EQ is really nice and the unit is very punchy. Maybe not as warm or "round" as some of my tube heads but it sounds great with my F BN5! But, what doesn't sound great with a BN5! Lots of features too if you're into that.

Tapp

9. Actually I was asking ogar directly how much they cost (since he was the only one who posted before), and I assumed Euros since he resides in the Czech Republic, but I looked it up just now and I think they still use the Koruny. That's a big mistake on my part.

Anyway I was going to convert the Euro price into Pounds for when I go to England so I'd have some sort of estimate. I may be American, but I'm not *that* ignorant. ;)

This is gonna be a tough decision for me. I like the sounds coming out of both Trace preamps, and I was looking at the manual for the GP12 and it seems to be quite versatile. I think that's what sparked my interest in them. They sound great and seem to be an incredible deal for the money (especially considering they use tubes). Too bad I can't really try any of them out and they're hard to come by. Luckily I already have a more than capable pre right now (Sansamp RBI) so I can patiently wait until my opportunity comes.

10. K-Frog

K-Frog

Feb 6, 2002
    Camden, AR, USA
    I like it. It's laid out just like an Alembic if I remember correctly.
    I had an Alembic F1X pre for a little while and sold it for a little profit. I was glad to hook up with the Trace and get that warm tubey goodness back.
    I really can't compare it to too much, mostly because I can't remember what the other stuff sounds like.
    I just know I'm pleased with it.
    I know that's mostly useless, but I thought i'd chime in as a happy owner anyway.

K

11. Hi there.
    Yes, we do have koruny, and I think we'll have the long. Anyway, last week I saw used GP12 pre for 8.000 korun (or crowns if you like) and I read ad, where it was offered for 5.000 korun. That is around 150 Euro. It is not too much I guess. Try to look on German Ebay (ebay.de), they are strongest in bass stuff here in Europe I think.
    Hope you will find one soon!
    Good luck
    ogar

12. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland