Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Trace-elliot V-type - good?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Suckbird, May 1, 2005.

1. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Sweden
    [​IMG]
    Trace-elliot v-type 300watt + 4x10

So i might join a black/death-metal band and i seriously need a new amp.

It costs about 1100$(used)

There's also this one:
    [​IMG]
    Trace-elliot v-type 300watt + 4x12

Costs: 1200$(used).

Do you think these are any good?
    Is 300watt going to be enough to be heard over a loud drummer with double bass drum(pedals) 2guitarist and a growly singer?

Also, i wanna cut through! :bassist:

And yeah, give suggestion on other amps too, available in sweden..

2. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    The head is pretty nice and has good power. If I were you, I would go for the 412 if you can afford it. You will be pushing the same wattage (@160-170watts) through either cab and with 12's you have more surface area which theoretically should have more volume. Plus 12's will give you more lowend without distorting.

I run a 350watt Trace head and even with my 115 I can hang with two half-stacks and a really loud drummer. To help cut through pay close attention to your mid to frequencies.

3. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Sweden
    I'm also considering to 1200watt kustom head.

Is that one comparable to this one? :bag:

4. beam

beam

Dec 29, 2002
    The head alone can be had for $450, I'm not sure what those cabs are worth though

5. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Sweden
    but i live in sweden

6. beam

beam

Dec 29, 2002
    Well then.. ;)
    Go for it

7. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    The Groove Bass head is pretty nice from what I understand but is relatively new and untested as far as durability is concerned. Personally, I don't trust any of the newer Kustom products, but thats me.

Trace Elliot was pro gear and was built to be gigged. TE is very well built equipment. Read "The Trace Elliot Thread" to hear more. TE also has a signature tone which only you can decide if its right for you. From what I understand the the Kustom head is pretty neutral as far as coloring your sound.

I say take your bass and go play each head if you can and go from there. Let your ears decide.