Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Trace Elliot V-Type Pre and Sound Questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by freshmeat1989, Oct 24, 2004.

1. How is the Trace Elliot V-Type Pre? The outboard on with the 4 or 5 knobs on the front? I'm lookin for a sound near Nick Olivier on The Lost Art of Keeping a Secret - QOTSA, but that can also do something near Sublime - Badfish sound (if thats possible, I know he used like 2x18's and stuff). Like warm and big but cutting through. Will this give me that? What preamp will. Probably being used with a Eden 2x15. What other amps will? Will a Traynor YBA200? Cause that seems ideal if it would. Thanks for any replies.

2. Rvl

Rvl

Dec 23, 2003
    Aomori Japan
    Sorry I dont know the bands you are talking about
    But I do use a V type pre together with SWR pre/power
    I use a AB box to switch back and forth between the preamps

Check out basstasters.com for some sound samples of the V-type

V-type can get a soft overdrive tone(not raunchy or overboard) or a big fat bottom or a nice mid grind. It`s somewhat versatile and I would say the V-type is an excellent choice for many kinds of music.

IF you were to run it into the effects in on your Traynor you could have a 2 channel amp. Switching back and forth between the 2 pres makes a very flexible system.

Thanks

Robert VanLane

3. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Robert,

Could you explain more about how you switch between the 2 preamps (the connections, etc)? I just set up an Axess Electronics GRX4 MIDI switcher to alternate between a Kern pre & Thunderfunk (using the Thunderfunk's power section as the power amp for both preamps).

Still an experiment more than anything else at this point, but I'm curious to see if/how other people are doing something similar.

4. Rvl

Rvl

Dec 23, 2003
    Aomori Japan
    The simplest method I use
    use a bass head and run the other preamp into the effects in and a AB box to route to the 2 external pre and the head

More complicated
    2 preamps with one power amp and 2 AB boxes
    bass>AB box> A pre or B pre >AB >power amp
    I could complicate it even more by running ABY boxes to combine the 2 preamps(ie clean+dirty)

I am considering ordering a box from LOOOPER.com and see if he could simplify it the foot acrobatics.

I tend to use the simplest method the most but I am considering buying the CAE 3 channel bass preamps.

Thanks

Robert VanLane

5. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Hmmm... doesn't the signal cut out as soon as you insert a patch cord into the Effects Return (In) of the head? Or only when you insert into the Effects Send...? I'll have to try this later tonite... don't know why I haven't already... :rolleyes:

Sounds like a drawback is that you'd either need to run 2 long cables between the preamps and the 2nd AB (assuming you place the 2nd AB out in front of you + you don't stand right next to the amp), or would have to place the preamps close by and run a long cable to the power amp. And stepping on 2 buttons instead of one.

I image Loooper could put something together that would enable you to press a single button instead of two, but not sure this would help with the placement of the preamps... I remember contacting him about a prototype "remote switching" box he'd put together + is posted on his website, but he doesn't produce it (this basically allowed you to have a footswitch pedalboard out front while the actual switching box stayed in your rack).

Cool! I didn't know CAE made these... and the website doens't go into detail on the Bass model. Unfortunately, very $$$$! Can't imagine these turn up used very often... :meh:

6. Rvl

Rvl

Dec 23, 2003
    Aomori Japan
    Yeah the CAE pre`s are too expensive new but I recently saw a used one for $1500 (not cheap either!!!)
    Just got a phone call from Yamaha and they will have my 5 channel midi bass head in January or so, but it is only 250 watts@4 and 500@2

The cables get real long using 2 AB boxes which is probably why I use the SWR head and Trace preamp setup the most.
    Thank God for in-ear monitors or I would have a difficult time hearing myself sometimes.

SWR doesnt cut out when installing the Trace into the pre-in but I dont know about other companies. I had some problems a long time ago with GK but I dont remember now what they were.

7. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Just tried this last night, and the signal does indeed cut out when you insert into the Effects Return (In) of my head, a Thunderfunk TFB-420. So that rules out the 'simple' approach, at least with a Thunderfunk.

Which SWR head are you using? Does it have a series effects loop, or parallel (I imagine it would have to be parallel)? Do you notice any difference in tone between (i) the sound of the SWR when you use it by itself (nothing in the effects loop), vs. (ii) when the Trace is inserted into the Effects In?

I'd like to find additional heads having this capability: (i) Effects In is post-EQ, and (ii) the signal does not cut out when you insert a jack into the Effects In. Ideally, it would also be without a fan, or least the fan could be defeated.

Hmmm... come to think of it, I imagine you could also switch between 2 stand-alone preamps this way, and thus could configure a 2-channel amp using 2 pres + a power amp. So Pre1 goes into Pre2's Effects Return, then Pre2's Main Out goes into the Power Amp In. But you'd still need Pre2's effects loop to not cut out when you insert into it.

8. I hate you all get your own thread. :mad: :D

Anyways, anyone else know anything about the Trace V-Type pre?

9. Rvl

Rvl

Dec 23, 2003
    Aomori Japan
    What more do you want to know about the Trace?

10. Rvl

Rvl

Dec 23, 2003
    Aomori Japan
    Using a SWR SM400 (the old version) and a SWR Bassic Black combo for small clubs(when I have to carry gear)

I'll have to check the manual about the effects loop

I dont notice any change in sound when I kick in the Trace.
    The tone settings on the SWR are all flat.

11. You'll not go wrong with a vtype, trust me, they are ace, I have the original on my combo and the later type on the V4 with the compression and overdrive... Not sure if thats available as a pre by itself, dont think it was ever offered..

12. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    It has what SWR calls a "sidechain" effects loops, i.e. a parallel loop. You can tell because it has an Effects Blend knob on the front of the amp. My Workingman's 12 (and all other SWR amps I've seen) have the same.

This explains why the signal doesn't cut out (I think)... I believe that any amp (or preamp) with a parallel (i.e. sidechain) effects loop would work as the "pass-through". Do you have the Effects Blend knob set to fully 'Wet'?

I'm mainly wondering if you notice any change in sound of the SWR between (i) when the SWR is totally on its own (i.e. the Trace is not even plugged into the loop), versus (ii) when you plug the Trace into the loop and (still) run the signal through the SWR pre.

Basically, I'm wondering if merely plugging the Trace into the SWR's loop causes any tonal difference for the SWR.

13. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Sorry :meh: ... didn't mean to hijack. Anyways, I've only heard the V-Type pre on its own once or twice and it sounded very good. I'd compare it (as others have said) to the Alembic and others that have similar Fender Bassman-centric designs. In a nutshell, you can't go wrong with it.

14. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Any thoughts on the difference between the original and the later V-Type pre's? I've only heard the original and thought it sounded great, but am real curious about how the voicing may have changed (or not) on the V4 and V8 versions of the pre.

Basically, is there any difference in the fundamental sound/voicing, or is it just that the new pres have those additional features (compression, overdrive, etc)?

15. Just different opinions.

Its fine mgmadian! :)

Hmmmm, now if I could only find one of these things? Want to sell a preamp Rvl? :D

16. Thunderfunk

Thunderfunk

Mar 27, 2004
    McHenry, IL
    Plug the Kern into the FX OUT and the loop won't be opened.

Dave "Thunder" Funk