Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Trace Elliot V-Type Tube Preamp Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by diptixon, Sep 11, 2005.

1. diptixon

diptixon

Oct 29, 2004
    Atlanta
    All, just purchased a Trace V-Type preamp that I am running thru a Mackie M800 power amp bridged into an Avatar 210 or Peavey 410 cabinet. I am pleased with the sound, but the 'bright' switch on the preamp seems to be very, very subtle; I can barely hear a very small difference in tone when it is switched on, with a tiny bit more 'hiss'... the 'deep' switch, however, does make a very noticable difference in tone.

Are there any other V-Type preamp owners on the board, and if so does your bright switch act the same way...?

Also, I know that this preamp is similar in design to the Alembic F-1X, which has a bright switch as well; for any owners out there, how much does the switch on the Alembic affect the tone...?

Thanks, Danny

2. diptixon

diptixon

Oct 29, 2004
    Atlanta
    Bump.. are there any V-Type preamp users out there that can help...?

3. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    It's the same with my V-Type 300H head. The bright switch has very little effect, while the deep makes a huge difference in sound. I bought my 300H NOS so I imaging that's how it was designed. I can still get plenty of high end out of it with the mids and treble pots.

4. diptixon

diptixon

Oct 29, 2004
    Atlanta
    natrab, thanks for the info... j-raj replied to a PM saying that his Trace v-type preamp's 'bright' switch DOES change the tone a good bit for slapping, etc., so I'm really not sure if I (we?) have an issue or not... I may bring it in to be checked out...
    danny

5. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    you might be comparing this way, but listen for the difference when you are slapping, not finger type playing. The slap switch will effect the slap sound more then it will effect the finger style sound.... at least it will be more noticeable. The Trace V-type preamp is a very under-rated pre, its one of my favorites! The mid shift push/pull is also a very nice option.

6. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Yeah, fingerstyle, I don't notice it as much.

When slapping, it gives a fair bit more 'zing' to the top end. And considering mines all tube, it's a pretty good zing as well :p

7. diptixon

diptixon

Oct 29, 2004
    Atlanta
    Ah, yes, now I see... thanks for all the input, when I slap is when I can hear a difference, a bit more top... very nice. My previous amp was a GK 400 RB, and I guess I was expecting the 'bright' switch on the Trace V-type to act like the 'hi boost' on the GK; evidently it is not intended to do the same thing...
    thanks, danny

8. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    If the V-Type and F1-X are truly based on a Fenderish tone stack, the bright switch should have little effect at high gain settings.

In a Fender style preamp, the bright control uses a single capacitor to pass some high end around the volume control. As the setting of the control approaches maximum, the effect diminishes, disappearing completely at full blast...

I don't know if these two preamps are that Fenderish though...

9. urje

urje

Sep 13, 2005
    the manual i've got for my v-type copies that. i haven't tried it though.

10. diptixon

diptixon

Oct 29, 2004
    Atlanta
    Yes, I notice that in the Trace V-Type Preamp manual, it states the bright switch is disabled at maximum gain due to the nature of the circuit...

11. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    FWIW, Similar behavior is seen on the Zvex nano head guitar amp.

Bright switch only works at low volumes. Given that the amp is only 1/2 watt, that is a very low volume.