1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Trace Elliot V-Type: tube preferences, and why

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dave M, Nov 29, 2006.

1. Curious to hear what 12AX7s folks like in their V-Types -- either in the stand-alone pre or the heads.

So, if you have experience with certain makes, and have likes or dislikes, and why, please post about it. Of course, relating it to bass, cab, playing/music style, and power amp used (if the pre) all factor into the final equation. :D

2. markorbit

markorbit

Apr 16, 2004
    I tried a whole suite of preamp tubes in my V4 and settled on Electro Harmonix which I thought had the best preamp breakup. I was looking to get a convincing mild tube overdrive sound at low volume and the EH was the best to my ears.

3. Thanks markorbit. I think I have a couple E-Hs around.

Anybody else? :)

4. rsint

rsint

Mar 26, 2006
    the Netherlands
    I've recently replaced the original (trace elliot rebranded) tubes in my v-type 300H, with some JJ ECC83S and haven;t looked back since.
    I'd also like to try the tung-sol 12ax7's someday but for now i;m happy.
    the sound just got a lot "warmer" with the JJ.

5. Well, my favorite's are the G.E. made in Britian NOS tubes for V1 and V2, it's just magical IMO Deep, clear and creamy uppers, and then a couple of phillips 7025's really tighten it up in V3 and V4, really punchy with a british flavour even though there a US tube. I didn't like the Eh's except in V3, a little to typical/SS. The JJ's were nice overall I'm keeping a couple on hand. Tried some TS 5751's a little muffled. I liked russian 12ax7's nice highs really sweet. Allot of NOS tubes can be found for the same price as new production, as long as your not looking for telefunken or mullards, and I do find there's a reason for the hype. look on ebay!

6. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    Mine have Mesa's.

Need to upgrade, I guess. :)

Something clean and smooth, so maybe I'll try the JJ's.

Where do y'all buy tubes, btw? I only know of a few places online, but nothing close to a tube connoisseur...

7. mvw356

mvw356

Mar 2, 2006
    Brussels
    What brand are the original TE tubes?

8. Ruby, no?

9. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    AFAIK they were Chinese tubes. However, companies are always looking to cut cost so it would surprise me if some were Sovteks.

:confused: You actually put Mesa tubes in a Trace Elliot product. :scowl: .................................. ;)

10. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX

Whoa whoa whoa, no-

I just opened it up earlier this week after the Standby switch started acting up and found them in there... ;)

It's previous owner, which will go unnamed (*cough*fred*cough*) ;) apparently juiced it up as noted!

11. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Well then, I guess you're off the hook... this time. :p

12. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    I just found out that they're basically Sovteks. Just have that nice black logo on them that jack up the price of the same or similar product *cough*sadowsky*cough*... ;)

13. My V-type (V4) came with Russian tubes, and I really liked them, it wasn't until I started experimenting that I found I liked some others more, but also others less. I like them for the pre section anyway, but I found the kt88's flabby on the bottom and the 6550's a little too aggressive in the midrange, but the 12ax7a's for the pre were really sweet. However I had some mesa 12ax7a's or wa's I forget, but didn't find the same sweetness as the plain sovteks, they where a bit more brash. I did like the mesa 12at7 it had more of that sweetness, and cleaner too.

14. By the way before someone points out that mesa and sovtek are really the same, I know this, but they did sound different, probably different batches or Mesa choice specs, different years. Best to try a bunch of tubes see what you like and then sell the ones you don't like on ebay. The ones I like, you may not so try a few out.

15. Waldo Bass

Waldo Bass

Jun 21, 2005
    England
    I have a V4 combo (see my previous posts) and i was wondering if anyone could recommmend valves to put in the overdrive channel? The stock sound is pretty good save for losing most of the bottom end!

If i can get a good sound out of the overdrive channel it'll save me forking out for an expensive pedal that'll do the same thing.

16. Try that phillips 7025, I think there about $10-15 off ebay.

17. markorbit

markorbit

Apr 16, 2004
    I've just given my V4 combo a work out tonight and I think it's the best amp I have ever owned or tried for that wonderful tube sound at ANY volume. Mine constantly sounds like it's cranked big time but it sounds soooooooo good.

I've been trying loads of stuff lately but as soon as I plugged into the V4 it was night and day. It's important to me that an amp can sound good at low volume and I am amazed at the big thick punchy warm tube sound coming out of this Trace with the volume knob nearly off. It growls like a bad 'un but in a great musical way.

I dread to think what it might sound like when the power tubes are driven as well.

BTW, I don't bother with the overdrive channel at all. No need. The power tubes are stock Ruby.

18. My 1x15 combo has Sovteks in it (gasp!). I've not changed them coz I love the sound it makes, but I do have some Rubys which are nice and a Philips to play around with - in fact I may plonk the Philips in as the gain stage valve for some more grit.

I haven't the time or money for playing with different makes of tube at the mo, maybe sometime in the future I'll be able to do so tho :)

When I had the AH300-12 I put a Svetlana (or was it Sylvania? I've forgotten the names...) in instead of the stock Sovtek, it really brought the "Valve Grind" to life. Really regret selling the head with that tube still in the amp, it would have been awesome in the V-Type :(