Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

trace elliot v-type v-8

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bass_extremes, Sep 5, 2005.

1. bass_extremes

bass_extremes

Jul 9, 2005
    Hey fellow bassplayers I was looking at a trace v-8 on the internet and it looks like one sweet amp. I know pretty sure some people own them on talkbass and was wondering if they are any good? what kind of style of music is it suited for? and what kind of tone does it have? Also I belive that trace is now owned by gibson so that brings me to the question if there is pre gibson v-8's which is better the pre gibson or the gibson ones?

2. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I believe the TBers that own V-8s refer to them as "The Holy Grail".

3. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Trace is now owned by Peavey.

That gibson stuff is in the past.

Good luck with the V8 as there were under 100 made, and a handful of them are owned by TBers...

If'n you do find one but decide not to buy, let us know.

4. I've given up on hope of ever owning one. Good luck getting someone to part with theirs. They're just simply too rare to really expect to ever have one. Only a very lucky 75 (??) or so are that fortunate. Good luck at any rate. I'd definately settle for a V6 or even a V4.

5. bass_extremes

bass_extremes

Jul 9, 2005
    What about the v6 is it more common? also whats the diffrence between the two? if the v6 is simmilar I wouldnt mind searching for one of them instead. the v6 comes in a 400 watt version right?

6. the V8 is 400watts, V6 is 300watts, V4 is 200watts

I think the number is just a refference to how many 6550/KT88's are in it, i dont think there'd be much of a difference bewteen a V8 and V6, but i may be wrong, more than likely really

7. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    ...do you actually have a V-8 in sight or just dreaming? Seems strange that you say "you don't mind searching for a V-6"...strange comment...

~S~

8. bass_extremes

bass_extremes

Jul 9, 2005
    it must sound strange I dont have a v-8 lined up I had some major gas for one and I didnt realize they were so rare. I had another question and it is I heard that the old trace stuff is coverd in green carpet and I heard that gibson bought trace and now the gear isnt as good. If this is true how do you distinguish an older v6 from the newer ones?

9. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    ...do a search grasshopper, there's tons of recent info...

~S~

PS: Next time be up front about your agenda...

10. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    FYI, the V6 is also rated at 400W, the V4 is rated at either 220 or 240 (I can never remember which one). Both are tremendous amps...

11. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I've been going on quite the rampage, and I must say that the V8 is the finest all-tube head that I have tried to date (though my VA400 and Hexa Valve have yet to come in! ;)).

Truly hard to find, but if you ever do come across one, surely jump all over it!

Tom.

12. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    V8's make fun noises :)

[​IMG]

13. Peavey now own Trace

Oh well, my bad

14. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    VERY Nice!

15. Aaaaaaaaaaah here's another picture to let you indulge into some more GAS, my friends. Here's my V8...

[​IMG]

16. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

Hey you....shut up. ;)

In your case your twice as lucky...seeing you live in the land of no-gear.

I'm really aching for one of those 'large box' Schroeders. *sigh*

Although I really want the 21012.

17. Recently, there was a V6 for 600 euros in the classifieds in my area. Sadly someone snapped it up before I got the chance.

I know this is sidetracking this thread a little but does anyone know the prices that the V-type amps go for? There's a chance I could snap up a V4 though I'm not sure about the price. I've searched but found no reliable figures.

18. Nice price for the V6. Rather cheap. Wow.
    I paid 1200 euro's for my V8. Cheap imho, since its so unique and all.

19. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Hexa Valve? I thought you'd picked up an Octa Valve for some reason... come to think of I have no idea if Trace even made an Octa Valve... oh well, something tells me it'll be pretty good nonetheless... :p

20. Just to clear up any potential questions that might be forming out there, Trace Elliot never did make an OctaValve.