Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

trace elliot V4 vs Quatravalve vs eden?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassbinge, Oct 9, 2004.

1. bassbinge

bassbinge

Sep 17, 2004
    new zealand
    need some advice from all you T.E fans out there.I'm looking for a clean warm/fat open sound that really throws/blossoms in that tube way.at the moment i have a choice of a early T.E. V4 without the v-type pre-amp comp. or a mint looking quatra.
    at the moment i am using an eden wt 330 . how does the eden sound compare to the T.E. tube amps sound,tone and voulme wise.
    the V4(basic) is new old stock and a very good price but i don't know how heavy they are.the quatra(used) is an extra $300 but comes with new tubes and only weighs 38lbs and has a 12 band e.q. and stainless steel chassis/cover.Both of these amps are in other countries some i can't try them,but i have heard the v-type pre-amp on Basstasters and loved that sound.Fellow T.B trace V type fans help me out here.i bow before you. :confused:

2. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I own a Hexa all Tube TE head, and can say that the V series will have more of a vintage sound compared to the Quad, or Hexa TE heads. I presonly think the Hexa (400watt) is the best all tube head ever made. But, then again I have never played a late 70's SVT :p

3. My V4 is the best amp ive ever had... Granted, its the later model with the same pre-amp as the V8 with the overdrive and compression. Ive not tried the Twin, Quatra or Hexavalve units but i have owned an AH600SMX and have to say the Vtype has that unique clean trace thing but with a distinct valve character... I think the Vtypes kick...

4. ovalsonic

ovalsonic Guest

Oct 11, 2004
    Montreal
    My Trace Hexavalve "blossoms"... the Quatra is a very close second - beautiful! There seems to be so much negative comment on Trace in America right now, I guess they will be cool again in the next nostalgia cycle. A/B these heads against any other and prepare to hug stainless steel!!!

5. bassbinge

bassbinge

Sep 17, 2004
    new zealand
    Many thanks for your replys guys.i'm just waiting to see which amp works out the cheapest before buying.What features/controls do the Hexa/quatra valves have as i cannot find any detailed pics of them.The Hexa sounds like what i want but i have never even seen one for sale.how heavy is it.

6. bassbinge

bassbinge

Sep 17, 2004
    new zealand
    cheers meekster ,just what i needed.how does your quatra stand up volume wise.have you a/b ed it against the V4 or an eden.i just found out that the V4 weighs about 50lbs so the quatra looks good at 35lbs

7. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I'm selling my Hexa if anyone is interested :D

8. ovalsonic

ovalsonic Guest

Oct 11, 2004
    Montreal
    www.clivebutton.com is the site of the Trace and Ashdown designer. Click on Products to get to Trace and Ashdown photos from throughout the history of each line. Controls on the Hexa and Quatra are standard Trace, but they feel more heavy duty to me. The gain indicator "traffic light" is a bit different, actually nice bright round lights, a bit larger then normal Trace. Detented gain and master volume knobs. Check out the GP12XV preamp - interesting...

9. Tapp

Tapp

Aug 29, 2001
    USA, Mississippi
    I have and use the GP12XV Trace preamp with an old SWR 800 amp and Eden 2-10XLT. I really like this preamp and I'm a certified tube nut! If I remember it's got one 12AX7 for pre gain and I believe it's full voltage rather than the many "starved-plate" designs. It's a punchy pre and very intuitive in layout; ie. XLR out on front and back of unit and transformer coupled to boot! I got mine cheap but I bet this stuff cost a lot more to produce than a lot of the "hybrid" pre's of today.

I've also got the Trace V-type pre. I haven't played around as much thru it yet. It's got a very "round" old-school type tone and not as articulate as the GP pre. I'd like to add a Jensen transformer to the V-type (similar to the Alembic) and play around with different cap types/values. Anybody ever modded these??

10. ovalsonic

ovalsonic Guest

Oct 11, 2004
    Montreal
    I'm curious to know if there is a crossover out on the back panel of the GP12XV pre...

11. BassGreaser, check your PMs.

12. bassbinge

bassbinge

Sep 17, 2004
    new zealand
    okay so how does US$599 sound for a new old stock trace V4
    V-style that has never been used.

13. Jugghaid

Jugghaid

Jun 28, 2002
    Denver, CO, USA
    Is it the new style one in the black covering with the overdrive channel?

14. bassbinge

bassbinge

Sep 17, 2004
    new zealand
    no big green carpet machine without the overdrive or compresser

15. Tapp

Tapp

Aug 29, 2001
    USA, Mississippi
    I'm almost sure there is a crossover out but I would need to look. The GP pre has about all the "bells and whistles" you would ever want/need on a pre.

Tapp

16. Jugghaid

Jugghaid

Jun 28, 2002
    Denver, CO, USA
    If it's the one at British Audio Service, it's sold. ;)