1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Trace elliot V6 and 4x12 on uk ebay!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by basspunk2005, Apr 25, 2006.

1. basspunk2005

basspunk2005 Guest

Jan 31, 2005
  2. Groundloop

Groundloop

Jun 21, 2005
    Toronto
    I imagine since the seller is insisiting on pick up only is the reason there are no bids. I know if I were in Greenhithe, Kent I'd be all over that (depending on the reserve of course :D )

3. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    Ah, you gotta put the effort in, I went right across the country last week to get my AH600SMX and 1248 cab :) But then, I guess it's not quite the same. Just thought I'd share :D

4. basspunk2005

basspunk2005 Guest

Jan 31, 2005
    nice, have you got any pics?:D

Edit : sorry just realised I was reading your post earlier! nice amp and cab:D

5. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    Well, I don't want to derail the thread, but I have got a couple of new pics...

IMG_0900.

IMG_0906.

IMG_0891.

6. MrBonex

MrBonex

Jan 2, 2004
    New Hampshire
    WARNING!

This amp/speaker combo is one of TE's worst ever. The bin is EIGHT oms. You gotta rewire it to TWO ohms or get another eight ohm bin and run 'em in parallel. Remember that the V6 only has 2 and 4 ohm taps.

I have no idea why TE would make an 800-watt 4-12 bin and not make it 4 ohms. They must have run out of meds.

If this guy/gal/person was running that combo for a long time, I'm sure the tubes are toast.

7. How does that make it the worst ever?
    Not a great idea, I'll admit - it would be unusual to need more than a 800W 4x12...

8. v-12

v-12

Mar 3, 2005
    FL Panhandle
    :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying:

WHY is this on ebay now?
    i lived about 2 hours away less than 6 months ago!!!!!!
    i would have been all over that......

9. MrBonex

MrBonex

Jan 2, 2004
    New Hampshire
    It's bad because it's an impedance mis-match. Not because of the wattage. Some less-than-knowledgable individual might think this is a good combo as it is.

It's not.

Perhaps I exaggerated the "worst-ever" thing. But it's not a thoughtful pairing.

10. 100% mismatchs can usually be tolerated, remember, the impedance of the cab will change when playing

Altho, i will agree that using a higher impedance on a tube head is worse than using a lower

Oh, and it wouldnt be the tubes that i'd be worried about, it would be the output transformer burning up

11. MrBonex

MrBonex

Jan 2, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Mohawk,

I agree that the mismatch is not necessarily bad. I've run my V6 into 8 ohms at low-volume gigs. But the V6 is 400 freakin' watts. And that 4-12 is clearly not going to be used in coffee houses and churches. My guess is that rig will be USED!

Hence the mismatch concern.

12. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    How easy is it to change the 1248 to a 4ohm cabinet? I can't really afford to have anything but this at the moment, but if it's rated at 800W at 8 ohms I'd be better off powering it with my 600w head at 4 ohms right?

13. Groundloop

Groundloop

Jun 21, 2005
    Toronto
    Not very easy at all. Most likely the drivers in the 1248 are 8 Ohms each wired in a series/parallel config. To get to 4 Ohms you'd have to install new speakers rated at 4 Ohms each.

Or install an Accuswitch. :scowl: :scowl: :scowl:

But you don't need to do any of that. You're solid state AH600 will be perfectly happy ticking along into an 8 Ohm load, you just won't be getting the maximum wattage out of your amp.

14. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    Ah ok, but if I do want to get maximum power out of the amp, will it make a difference in volume by making the cab 4 ohm. Would it not just require rewiring the speakers? Or are they already wired to the lowest possible ohms? What is an accuswitch? Is it a bad idea?

cheers :)

15. basspunk2005

basspunk2005 Guest

Jan 31, 2005
    Hang on let me get this right

With a v6 you can only run it at 2 or 4 ohms?(i am aware of the switch on the back;)) so as I have two 8ohm 410s I couldnt just run the v6 into one of the cabs(dont worry i havnt done this lol) what would happen if you ran the v6 with one 8ohm cab?

16. Groundloop

Groundloop

Jun 21, 2005
    Toronto
    Assuming that the drivers are 8 Ohms each, there are only three ways (that I'm aware of) to wire them together:

4 x 8 Ohms in series = 32 Ohms

4 x 8 Ohms in parallel = 2 Ohms

4 x 8 Ohms in series/parallel (and there are 2 different ways to do it) = 8 Ohms

The Accuswitch was/is an "innovation" from AccuGroove that allowed the user to flick said switch to convert their cab from 8 to 4 Ohms, or 4 to 8 Ohms depending on where you started. Anyway, there is a very lengthy thread here on TB about the Accuswitch, and some very smart people with a lot more knowledge about speaker design and electronics than me came to the conclusion that the Accuswitch violated most of the known laws of physics, and didn't do anything anyway. I just took a quick look at AccuGroove's site, and I can't find any reference to the switch anymore.

Anyway, to get the maximum wattage out of your head, add another 8 Ohm cab. :)

17. MrBonex

MrBonex

Jan 2, 2004
    New Hampshire
    You can re-wire the 4-12 cab to 2 ohms. That would work just fine. Four 8-ohm speakers in parallel is 2 ohms. The cab is factory wired series/parallel (8 + 8 in parallel = 4 ohms, then 4 + 4 in series = 8 ohms).

Yes, the impedance taps on the V6 only offer 2 and 4 ohms. Which is a drag, I know. I would not use an 8 ohm cab for loud gigs.

18. basspunk2005

basspunk2005 Guest

Jan 31, 2005
    aight thanks guys, Ill make sure that I use my V6 with both my cabs:D to save any problems/damage. Just talked to my brother about this, he has a Marshall tube head and he only has one 4x12 which is 8ohms. This is basically what I COULD be doing if I choose to use my v6 with one cab. He has had no problems with tubes or anything, so I dont understand why it would be a problem to run the V6 through one 8ohm cab?

Look at this link, I know its guitar but still applies

http://www.musicianshotline.com/education/200603_educationcenter_askbudda.asp

19. basspunk2005

basspunk2005 Guest

Jan 31, 2005
    anyone?

The trace has ended at £500 what a bargain!

So can anyone answer my question from the post before?

20. It's almost a different kettle of fish. Your bro's Marshall will be no more than 100 W.
    The V6 is 4 times as much.
    Basically, as far as I have understood, the guitar valve amp is a completly different kettle of fish since the output is rather small, and it's designed to distort, the different impediance is negligable.
    Someone back me up, or correct, please.

My guitarist uses a fender Hot Rod whichy is 40W at 8 or 4 ohm (valve amp). The instructions say that the amp will urn safely at either impediance.

However, it could be that the marshall itself is designed to compensate...

Your out put tranny will get fried if you use a BASS valve amp at the wrong impediance. I tihnk the tubes can also get burnt up from this...