Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Trace Elliot V6 Fuse Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Fuzzhead, Feb 9, 2006.

1. Fuzzhead

Fuzzhead

Sep 26, 2005
    Australia
    Does any owner know the order of H.T. fuses on the back? There's 2 fuses under a cover plate, one is H.T.1 (T3.15A) and the other is H.T.2 (T2A). I would have thought the left one was H.T.1, except they're not marked on the outside and there's a T2A in the left one, and a T3.15A in the right.

I just got this and played it for about 15 minutes before it blew a fuse. I'm thinking maybe the owner had the fuses switched around the wrong way. If not then it's probably time for some Sovtek KT-88s, it's got the original Trace KT-88s still in it ('95). I'm emailing Shane about it, just thought I might find out some more info off you guys.

Also, if anyone has a V6 schematic I'd really appreciate it. Cheers.

By the way it sounded awesome through my NV610!

2. I have the V6 schematic. I've never had to repair anything on mine, so I can't help you on the fuse issue. PM me with your email address and I'll send it to you.

3. Fuzzhead

Fuzzhead

Sep 26, 2005
    Australia
    Cheers Psycho, PM sent.

Anyone else want to check under their cover plate for me? Less than a minutes work for much gratitude from me (well yes, rather worthless, how about good karma instead?)

4. Fuzzhead

Fuzzhead

Sep 26, 2005
    Australia
    Bump for some help? BTW it's just a little 1 inch square plate with 2 small screws covering the HT fuses, you don't need to touch the backing grill.

Just need to know if the left HT fuse designation is HT1 or HT2...or if your V series has a T2A or T3.15A fuse in the left fuse holder.

Thanks for any help!

5. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    Hey there,
    I just checked out to see which fuse it was on my V4 and the LEFT fuse reads: T2AL250V

So I would assume from this that the left would definately be the T2A for your V6. This should answer your question and I really hope this helps.

Good luck, keep me updated if you get it solved. These are excellent sounding amp BTW. :bassist:

6. Fuzzhead

Fuzzhead

Sep 26, 2005
    Australia
    Thanks ibz! It's kinda weird HT2 is the left fuse, I really would have put left HT1 and right HT2 myself.

So are bad power tubes the main reason the fuses blow? They seem alright at most volumes, maybe old tubes only show their deficiencies under high volume/current.

7. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    Yeah it doesn't make a huge amount of sense I guess. But there are someother funny thing on these amps like XLR connectors for speaker connection. (I'm soon to be in the process of custom making a XLR to speakon cord for these).

The tubes might be bad, they normally tend to start blowing fuses when they start arching and trying to draw too much current. But I don't have an education in electrical engineering or something, but I know enough to get me by most of the time.