Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

TRACE ELLIOT V6 STOPPED WORKING - HELP!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by gareth, Jan 6, 2006.

1. gareth

gareth

Jun 9, 2002
    UK
    On a gig tonight and my V6 stopped working.

Could it just be a fuse blown or something else.

What should I test first - the fuse I suppose.

If it needs new valves do I have to replace all six and should I replace them with the same or a different type of valve.

Does it need to be re-biased.

Should I have the amp serviced.

Thanks for your help

2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Hmmm.

A bit more information might be in order.

Do the lights still come one? Do the tubes glow at all? Does it make any noise, buzzing, etc? When it died, were there any 'signs' of trouble (smoke, bad smells, noises, changes in volume, tone, etc)? Were there any strange issues at the gig (temperature, bad power, rain etc)?

I'd start with the fuses, and while not knowing the V6 in person, I'd also warn that some amps have 2 sets of fuses, one easily accessible on the outside and one within the chassis. If you've blown a fuse...replace it and try again. If'n it works you might be in luck...if it works then blows, DON'T try again. They're there to protect your amp from bigger damage.

It could be a tube problem, but 'dead amp' doesn't usually equate to failed tubes right off.

3. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
  4. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    The easiest way to fix it is to sell it to me :)

5. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Hah, good try Tim! :D

6. gareth

gareth

Jun 9, 2002
    UK
    I checked the fuse and it had blown.

Gavin at GMAudio says that sometimes you can get a power spike/surge especially as pubs with dodgy electrics.

So I changed the blown fuse and fired up the amp at home and it seems to play ok.

Another gig tonight, so if the fuse blows again, I know there's a more serious problem.

Thanks for your comments.

7. gareth

gareth

Jun 9, 2002
    UK
    Hello

Update on my v6.

Took it to Gavin, GMAudio, ex-trace and he fitted Sovtecks KT88's which he says Trace Elliot out in originals anyway. He reset the biasing and made sure all was ok.

So its back in operation.