Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Trace Elliot V6 - which valves to get?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by gareth, Jan 8, 2006.

1. gareth

gareth

Jun 9, 2002
    UK
    Some of you may have read my previous thread where my V6 stopped working.

On checking, the mains fuse had gone, so I replaced it thinking that all may be well.

But it was'nt before starting last nites gig I played thru the V6 and it sounded very strange - distorted with some of the speakers flapping.

So I decided not to use it and instead use a standby SM300 trace head - which did a great job - but I missed the power oif the V6 having to use the SM300 at maximum which still was'nt quite enough.

So regarding the V6, my bandmates reckon that I need new valves to solve the problem, but which ones.

As far as I can see the Sovtek are the ones to go for - KT88EH power valves and 12AX7-EH preamp.

Do you agree?

And should I replace both the power and preamp valves, or what.

Or maybe the problem is'nt the valves, maybe its the biasing or another problems.

Any comments welcome.

Yours

Somewhat Confused

2. Its quite possibly the power valves, but, you dont know, i'd take it to a tech to get it looked at, and i'd recommend JJ/Telsa tubes

www.eurotubes.com . . . they are really good, and im sure a fair few people on here will agree with me on that one!

3. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Hey Gareth, it very well may be time for new tubes...but before you go through the process of replacing them, I'd drop a PM to Psycho Bass Guy to see what he thinks. He's probably the one here with the most experience with servicing tube amps and the most knowledge about them. I'd hate for you to drop big bucks on new tubes for a fix if that wasn't necessary.

On the subject of tubes, I would prefer JJ tubes from Bob at Eurotubes over Sovteks.

4. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Have a tech look at it. GM Audio is there in the UK and is run by a (the?) former Trace Service Mgr.

5. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I'm normally not a big fan of Sovtek 12AX7's (though I do like them in my Pignose), but if you are talking about the Electro-Harmonix 12AX7EH, I find them to be consistently pretty good (though I often find myself slightly preferring the JJ ECC83S or something NOS).

As for power tubes, you have a number of good options, but I agree that I'd wait to hear what Psycho Bass Guy recommends.

Tom.