1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

trace elliot v6

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mvw356, May 10, 2006.

1. mvw356

mvw356

Mar 2, 2006
    Brussels
    i have the opportunity to purchase a brand new trace elliot v6. its not cheap, but at a reasonable price. i just wanted to know what the verdict on these amps is? some people say they are very good, but what about the drawbacks, if any? any advice is appreciated.

2. MrBonex

MrBonex

Jan 2, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Let's just say that those of us who own them aren't in any rush to get rid of them.

:D

3. MrBonex

MrBonex

Jan 2, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Seriously:

Drawbacks: Heavy but not as heavy as an SVT (I'd guess about 40-45 lbs. or so). 6 KT-88s are expensive to replace. Tubes can sometimes be unpredictable (!). The preamp is perhaps not the most flexible in the world, but it works well and it's very musical.

Advantages: Tone of the Gods. Beautifully made. Oh yes, Tone of the Gods.

4. mvw356

mvw356

Mar 2, 2006
    Brussels
    thanks for the response. i think i iwll buy it, unfortunatley as it's not near where i live i can't test it. but i guess if i don't like it i could always sell it for as much as i payed so that keeps the risk fairly low.
    what kind of cabs are you using? for now i only have 2x10 combo, which i would have to hook up to the amp, don't know how to do that yet but it shouldn't be too difficult (question of ohm). the v6 is designed for 4 and 2 ohm i think, my question is would i damage the amp by running an 8 ohm cab? the manual of my SS combo says that it's possible to run a higher impendance cab without any risk it just won't be as loud; is that true? also for valve amps? i just know i need a tube amp and this seems to be a good opportunity.

5. MrBonex

MrBonex

Jan 2, 2004
    New Hampshire
    You should (as much as is possible) match impedances with tube amps. Running 8 ohm speakers in the 4 ohm tap is ok at low volume gigs -- but if you plan on any serious volume (and the V6 will blow your shirt off) you MUST match impedance.

6. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I have not played a V6 (or V4, for that matter), but I am fanatical about my V8, and I've heard many other tube heads from Trace Elliot. I have every reason to believe that the V6 would be a killer amp. Oddio used to own one, in addition to his V8. You might want to drop him a line.

Tom.

7. zoloo

zoloo

Jun 7, 2005
    France
    How does the V6 or V8 compares in terms of tone, to a DB-359 and an HiWatt 200 ?
    I saw one to sale, but I can't try it, because it's far from my home...

8. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Interesting comparison. I really like the clean tone of my V8, but I'd say that they each have a unique voicing (the V8 is more pristine, the 359 is more syrupy). Both can dial in a very impressive clean tone, but I just prefer the V8 (the only tube amp that definitely sounds better than the V8, IMHO, is the Sadowsky SA200). BUT, in terms of volume, the V8 just absolutely smokes the 359. It's really comparing a mountain (V8) to a mole hill (359).

Tom.

9. zoloo

zoloo

Jun 7, 2005
    France
    and how does the 680/728 compare ?
    It's 400w, so it's more than enough, and with a great tone shaping, no ?
    (I'm thinking to this 680/728 thing, cause you can take the Db-680 only when you go to a rehearsal, or when your back refuse to carry the wole stack.

Sorry for all those questions, but you owned them all ;)

10. basspunk2005

basspunk2005 Guest

Jan 31, 2005
    I picked up a V6 on UK ebay a few months back for about £400 which was an excellent price. Its great its loud its got geat tone. Only annoying thing is the weight and the whole 8ohm thing. I think for me the main draw back is you cant select to run the amp at 8ohms. But still its a great amp with great tones. If you can get it for a cheap price/good price, I say buy it:D

11. get the v6!
    running the amp @ 8 ohms in the 4ohm position isnt a great idea - you'll smoke the valves and output transformer!

even if you can't run it straight away, buy it, then get some new cabs! do it doit doitdoitdoit!!! :hyper:

12. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    The V6 isn't quite that light, more along the lines of upper 60's or lower 70's in weight (lbs.). My V4 is even slightly heavier than 45lbs.

The only 200W tube amps that are that light from memory are the SA200 and the Eden VA300. But I think the Eden is even quite that light.

But yes, weight aside the tone of the V6 will be something extroadinary.

13. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    Woah I highly suggest not running it in the 4 ohm setting, get a 4 ohm cab or another 8ohm. You could seriously damage your tube amp by doing this.

Just like you don't want to run your SS amp at 2 ohm if it can only can go as low as 4. But this damage on the SS would be for different reasons than the tube situation were talking about.

14. basspunk2005

basspunk2005 Guest

Jan 31, 2005
    IBZ : dont worry mate, I read up first and I havn't ran it at 8 ohms dont worry:)

15. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    Alright, well you enjoy a great amp. A shame they don't make em' any more.

16. mvw356

mvw356

Mar 2, 2006
    Brussels
    i bougth it, can't wait until it gets here:hyper: just need a cab i can run it through, but can't afford one right now.:rollno: is there any way of connecting it to an 8ohm speaker plus some sort of other 8 ohm resitstor, but not an actual cab?

17. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    The Traynor YBA-200 is quite light, too.

18. Nope!

I have a V8 and use two 8ohm cabs in parallel... some day I'll use two 4ohm cabs for sure... 2ohms baby! :bassist:

19. MVW356, did you buy that 'Buy it now' V6 on eBay Germany?

20. mvw356

mvw356

Mar 2, 2006
    Brussels
    yes i did.